Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2009 16:00

Processor Upgrade(s) for PowerEdge 2800

I have a PowerEdge 2800  and have not been able to determine what range of processors it will accept. I know that it is a 604 pin Xeon that exceeds 2.8 GHz but are there any limits on the upper end? I have poored through the documentation, this website, the internet, etc.. cannot find any details anywhere.

Will this motherboard accept Dual core Xeons? I'll assume that they need to match. I have one 2.8 GHz now and was contemplating either augmenting with a matching processor or replacing it with two dual cores.

Thanks

:emotion-2:

<ADMIN NOTE : Service Tag removed per privacy policy>

9.3K Posts

July 29th, 2009 07:00

This system can only do an FSB of up to 800 MHz. If I'm not mistaken, all Intel multicore Xeon processors use a higher FSB, and also use an LGA 771 socket instead of the 604 socket (the E7000 series is socket 604, but those require a completely different chipset) in the 2800.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 09:00

Everything you mentioned about this seems to fit so I hadn't given it much thought (in fact I scavenged some Xeon single 604s) but then I discovered that apparently there were some Paxville compatilble motherboards (apparently) including on a subset of the the 2800. Here are some possible part numbers:

NJ023

XC320

CD158

TF830

XF044

Is there any way to check the current motherboard part number with out disassembling the server? And, should that be necessary, is there a specific area of the board where the part number is that might save me disassembling the entire server?

Thanks

:emotion-2:

9.3K Posts

August 24th, 2009 17:00

If you can get a full view of the motherboard, look for a label marked DS/N (Dell Serial Number). It will start with 2 letters, then a 0 (zero), and the next 5 characters are the partnumber of the board in your system.

1 Message

August 25th, 2009 03:00

Same Problem here in Germany. I tried to replace SL7?? against SL8MA.

I got a Poweredge 2800 here and called DELL Germany for information about using SL8MA on my machine. They say it works.
When the SL8MA arrived i tried to run the CPU - But my System with Bios A07 always say Unknown CPU - System halted.
I think there is no way to fix it without to replace the board.

I´ve ordered now a NJ023 V5 Motherboard for Poweredge 2800/2850. You can look here:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Poweredge-2850-2800-Dual-Core-Motherboard-V5-NJ023_W0QQitemZ170356131206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Networking_Components?hash=item27aa044586&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

I will replace the old board an then it should work.
Since the nj023 seams to be the latest board, what revision got the other dell part numbers ?

Regards

uwcken

3 Posts

August 25th, 2009 07:00

The other part numbers are for version 4 (v4?) of the motherboard. As best as I can find, the v4 and v5 motherboards will support paxville processors.

Thanks dev mgr. I see that I have a v2 board. I am going to order a v4 or v5 board and some paxvilles and try this out.

Dev mgr - do you think there would be any issues swapping out a v2 with a v4 or v5?

It will be a nice way to extend the life of this server that has treated me well.

9.3K Posts

August 25th, 2009 08:00

One thing I would recommend if you already have an OS installed is to update everything on the system (bios, firmware, drivers) prior to the mobo replacement. Then once you put in the newer mobo, update all firmwares on it, and then plug in the drives (OS) again. If you are running an older firmware/driver/bios and then you swap in a new mobo (with a newer bios/firmware), the OS may not 'like' it too much.

61 Posts

September 8th, 2009 14:00

The 2800 will support dual core xeons with the right mainboard part number.

Go to www.velocitytechsolutions.com and they can help you with what part numbers you need.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 13:00

Hello All,

Does anyone have a list of the Xeon processors the NJ023 motherboard accepts?  I'm looking to see if there a VT-x CPU that's compatible.

Either way, I'd like to know how I can get a complete list of compatible CPU's.  Is there anything on Dell's website that would list them?

Thanks,

Jim

9.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 11:00

None of the processors that Dell ever offered on the 2800 (or all 8th generation PowerEdges other than the 6800) offer VT-x. You'll need 1 generation later; 9th generation (e.g. 2900).

January 27th, 2012 11:00

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but I wanted to get the input of some of the posters here.

I have a similar problem.

I'm working on a poweredge 2800

(mainboard dell#=T7971, FOX PE2850 V3)

(original cpu Xeon "nocona" SL7PD [stepping E0])

The plan was to upgrade the cpu's to

(Xeon "Paxville DP" SL8MA [stepping A0])

At the start of the operation the bios was running revision A02.

Updated the bios to (OEM PE2800, BIOS, A07) from dell's site (I selected the OEM version because it had a download in iso format, and the server I'm working on doesn't have a floppy drive).

After a successful bios flash, booting the machine will only proceed so far before a system beep and error message "unsupported cpu stepping detected. processor 1. Stepping 48. System halt." (This is with the paxville dp installed.)

Taking out the paxville and installing the old nocona cpu... the system refuses to boot at all.

Bios A07 + mainboard T7971 = cannot use nocona cpu

Bios A07 + mainboard T7971 = stepping error with paxville dp cpu

remember...

Bios A02 + mainboard T7971 = worked with nocona cpu

After hours of research, I see no way to reflash the bios back to a02 or any other version since it will abort the boot before I can load a flashing cd.

So, I'm resigned to buying a supported cpu or a newer version of the mainboard.

Can anyone list what cpu's are supported by T7971 rev 3 AND by bios A07?

January 31st, 2012 12:00

An update for other seekers... The rev 3 motherboard does NOT support dual core chips. period. the old nocona's were apparently running in single core mode. I'm planning on grabbing a newer rev 4 or 5 which does support dual cores in general and paxville dp in particular.

Good luck.

No Events found!