Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

June 25th, 2020 01:00

Qlogic menu broke HBA

I have issue with several HBA 2572 by Qlogic, both QLE and QME version.

I have set up boot from san, I enter the bios utility Fast!util, enabled BIOS Support, enabled selective boot device and selected the target, saved and changed to the second hba istance and done the same.

After reboot, WWPN of port0 are changed to the same WWPN of port1 breaking FC fabric.

The first time I thinked an HBA faulted, now I have three HBA with the same issue occur exactly after enabling boot from san

• 

8.8K Posts

June 25th, 2020 13:00

Franz78,

Would you be able to confirm the system you are working on? Also do you have any logs showing the issue as well? 

Let me know and we can go from there. 

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

June 25th, 2020 15:00

Hi, the problem occurs on M610 and M620 both with QME2572.

I haven't log since the change has been made from adapter bios; I can show you screenshot of adapter bios and Vmware storage card with the same wwpn and both port.

I hade another case a couple of month ago but I doesn't find screenshot

The issue are always on instance 0 that get wwpn of instance 1.

I didn't use flexaddress.

If you need I have also qaucli dump of HBA parameter, preload and serdes of both instances.

vmware_1.pngvmware_2.pnghba0.jpghba1.jpg

• 

3.4K Posts

June 25th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

Was wondering if you have updated the QME2572 firmware yet? There are some fixes on the new firmware. 

Try updating them and let me know the outcome. 

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

June 26th, 2020 00:00

HI,

I have just try to update firmware to 09.01.05 since it was at 09.01.02 but nothing changed; hba still present the same WWPN on both instance.

I see that qaucli has the ability to restore nvram data from files.

It's not clear if it restore also wwpn address; the second problem is that file has a checksum, so changing wwpn to previous one, break the checksum and, I think, card not load uploaded data (I have try, and wwpn doesn't change)

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

June 26th, 2020 01:00

Yes, latest bios and latest idrac.

I try to switch to UEFI boot mode and nothing changed

• 

3.4K Posts

June 26th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

Just to check, are the servers that have QME2572 installed, are they running on latest BIOS and iDRAC? 

If you're running on legacy BIOS mode, could you try changing it to UEFI.

Let me know the outcome. 

• 

3.4K Posts

June 26th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

Thanks for the update on what you have noticed on the steps for settings. Truthfully I'm not very verse with the card settings, but do you think if there is a reset in the BIOS menu to reset the card so you could try do the settings?

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

June 26th, 2020 02:00

I have double checked with other blade (same config and same firmware level and same blade) with working boot from san config.

When I configure boot from san, booth HBA was at the same firmware version (now one of the not working hba are at a newest firmware reported as Flash FW version 8.08.207)

BIOS version 3.45
FCODE version N/A
EFI version 6.16
Flash FW version 8.05.00

The difference may be in the procedure used:

the working config, if I remember since was made several months ago, was made in two step by mistake:

- enter fast!util

- select instance 0

- configure boot san

- exit

- enter fast!util

- select instance 1

- configure boot san

- exit

this times I configured both instance in one shot (and this is the case that cause the problem)

- enter fast!util

- select instance 0

- configure boot san

- select instance 1

- configure boot san

- exit

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

June 26th, 2020 05:00

Yes, there's a reset.

I have just try and this clear all to default setting, but unfortunatly not wwpn.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 26th, 2020 07:00

Franz78,

Could you confirm if Flex Addressing is enabled or not, also would you send me the svc tags (enclosure as well) in a Private Message, so I may confirm if you have the FA upgrade?

If it is enabled, then power down, disable FA, then bring systems back up. 

Let me know wht you see.

• 

8.8K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 13:00

I apologize for the delay. I am researching the issue and will be back with you. 

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 00:00

Hi Chris,

I see from Qlogic document that eficfg should be able to edit nvram data as wwpn (so at least I can recover all hba functionality).

http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchProductPreviousRelease.aspx?ProductCategory=39&Product=937&Os=167&ResourceCategory=Boot%20Code&grid=1

unfortunately when I try I receive error that qlogic driver doesn't support configuration protocol.

If you need we can organize a remote session

• 

3.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2020 01:00

Hello,

Meanwhile waiting for Chris to get some info, would be able to gather a SupportAssist log and send it to us via iDRAC. 

I would wonder, do you think the OS can affect the WWPN not to be reset and still reflecting the same WWPN as your screenshot. 

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 08:00

No, OS can't  affect WWPN.

On FC fabric, at bios phase (so preboot environment), I just see the wwpn since it's needed to access storage to boot from san.

After the change I see the same WWPN on both fabric, while before was different.

When I set boot from san setting, I was able to see storage target that mean wwpn was the right one and zoning was coherent.

• 

8.8K Posts

July 6th, 2020 09:00

I would recommend that you call in for assistance. I discussed the issue with others and advise that would be the best course of action. 

No Events found!