Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2014 10:00

R210 II and H200A

Hi,

Updated the firmware for the H200A in an R210 II using OME. Now it won't boot.

OME said version 7.3.5 was installed, installed firmware using OME, but at boot it's now reporting mpt2bios-7.11.10, spends ages initializing and then shows fault 11h and press any key.

Pressing any key continues onto Dell splash screen (BIOS 2.6.1) but the it just hangs there. Boot menus show (F10, etc), but then just stays on splash screen and won't continue. Drive 2 is lit up in green on the front.

If I remove the card, boot continues fine. How can I fix the card?

Thanks.

990 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 13:00

Offcolour,

Let's try this method to update the firmware on the H200 card:

1. Download this version of the firmware update and extract to a folder on your hard drive: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r210-2?driverId=8TPD2&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3290126540&languageCode=en&categoryId=SF#

2. Download our 32bit diagnostic package next and install on your PC:  

http://ftp.dell.com/diags/DELL_32-BIT-DIAGNOSTICS_5154-1_R302859.exe

3. With a blank 2gb USB key or smaller,  use the diagnostic tool to create a bootable key.

4. Copy the files you have extracted to the root of the USB key.

5.  Boot the server with the USB key to the 32 bit diagnostic menu

6. Choose option 4 to exit the menu; You will be at a DIAG>D: prompt

7. Change to DIAG>C:  and run the update file from here. 

8. Restart your server.

Let us know how it goes,

Regards,

31 Posts

February 4th, 2014 01:00

Hi Geoff,

Haven't got a 2gb or less stick around, so burned diagnostics to a CD, but can't even get it to go to the boot options menu to pick the CD or USB drive to boot from if the card is installed.

I press F11, the menu in the corner disappear and it just hangs on the BIOS screen.

Number 2 is lit on the front panel (Expansion card error).

Looks like OME broke my card and have no way of booting the machine to change its firmware :(

990 Posts

February 4th, 2014 07:00

For this process to work, you will need a USB key; once you create a bootable CD using these tools you are unable to add the update files to the CD like you can a bootable USB key.  Locate a blank USB key (the diagnostics will format the key so any data will be lost), create the bootable key and then add the update files.

You may also want to clear NVRAM from the board. Pull the cord, clear all the power from the board.  Check out page 19 of the manual on how to clear the NVRAM: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r210-2_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf   Once you have the jumper moved, put the cord back on for a few seconds, then pull the cord and put the jumper back in its original position. Put the cord back on and boot up the server.

31 Posts

February 4th, 2014 07:00

Hi Geoff,

I've got a USB now, but I can't even get to the boot menu to select the USB drive to boot from. It just hangs on the BIOS splash screen after pressing F11.

I did the NVRAM reset earlier, but didn't make any difference.

31 Posts

February 6th, 2014 01:00

Hi,

Any more ideas on this? As it stands I've got a dead card and no way of getting the firmware fixed.

990 Posts

February 6th, 2014 16:00

From all appearances the card will need to be replaced.  All avenues have been tried to reflash and each one has failed.

Regards,

31 Posts

February 7th, 2014 01:00

Great. So OME broke my card with a bad firmware upgrade and now I'll have to foot the bill to get it replaced.

Thanks anyway.

No Events found!