Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2013 16:00

R610...RDP / Hyper-V / RemoteFX

I have a PE R610 running Windows Server 2008 R2/SP1 along with Hyper-V.  One of the VMs is a Remote Desktop Server.  Anyone have any experience configuring this setup to run RemoteFX on the RDP Server?  What's required?  I read that the CPU needs to be SLAT compatible, is it (Xeon E5649)?  Would I need to install a separate GPU (this may be the show stopper since there isn't a whole of room in this pizza box)?  Any pointers, recommendations much appreciated.

Paul ---

• 

6.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 17:00

Hello Paul

I read that the CPU needs to be SLAT compatible, is it (Xeon E5649)?

Yes, Intel refers to it as Extended Page Tables: http://ark.intel.com/products/52581/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5649-12M-Cache-2_53-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI

Would I need to install a separate GPU (this may be the show stopper since there isn't a whole of room in this pizza box)?

Yes, the integrated graphics uses an XDDM driver. RemoteFX requires WDDM. There are no validated GPUs to add to the server.

Any pointers, recommendations much appreciated.

If you get a 3rd party GPU to work in the server then the integrated graphics will be disabled. This will cause the console functionality of the iDRAC not to work since it uses the integrated graphics to process video.

Thanks

No Events found!