This post is more than 5 years old

K

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

October 11th, 2016 08:00

R620 - NIC firmware won't install

Howdy,

My server is showing that our Intel Gigabit 4P I350-t rNDC network cards have a Firmware version of 0.0.0.  (see attachment)  The latest version is 17.5.10.  Normally when I see this I can just install the latest version and it then shows the proper version numbers in the UI.

I tried to install the drivers via our SUU package and it failed.  The update.log file just says Update was not applied.  Exit code - 1 (Failure)

I downloaded the standalone installer and it also errored out and says:
An error occurred when updating a module.

This server was rebooted last night and I tried the updates again this morning and they still fail.  Anyone have any idea on why this might not be working?

1 Attachment

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

Try updating using the LifeCycle Cycle Controller via the Platform Updates and pointing to the ftp.dell.com site and see whether the updates will apply

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

October 12th, 2016 10:00

I'll give that a try.  Forgot I can do updates that way.

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

October 12th, 2016 22:00

OK, tried installing the firmware through the lifecycle controller and that also failed.  Anything else I can try?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2016 09:00

Were you getting some messages when the updates failed? If the messages are related to authentication, you might have try again later as this an intermittent issue with the same site. Otherwise, you may also try creating a bootable ISO from this link: https://dell.app.box.com/bootableR620 

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

October 17th, 2016 09:00

The Lifecycle Log (from in the iDrac) shows:

SUP0517: Unable to update the Intel(R) Gigabit 4P I350-t rNDC firmware to version 17.5.10.
 2016-10-12T22:50:57-0500
Log Sequence Number: 3073
Detailed Description:
The firmware image specified in the operation did not apply successfully. An internal error may have occurred.
Recommended Action:
Retry the operation. If the problem persists, download the latest update package from your service provider, and retry the operation.
When running the stand alone EXE file from Support.Dell.Com the confirmation says:
The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed version.
   Software application name: Intel(R) Gigabit 4P I350-t rNDC
   Package version: 17.5.10
   Installed version: 0.0.0

After it tries to install, the error says:
Device: Intel(R) Gigabit 4P I350-t rNDC, Application: Intel(R) Gigabit 4P I350-t rNDC
An error occurred when updating a module.
I have no reason to think an ISO would work any differently than the Lifecycle did.

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

October 17th, 2016 10:00

I did find this post with a similar error from a few years ago.  It mentions OMSA Live but I have no idea what that is.

en.community.dell.com/.../19526650

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 17th, 2016 16:00

OMSA Live is a Linux based image that packages a collection of utilities and diagnostic tools for Dell PowerEdge Servers. OMSA Live has been replaced by Support Live Image with the same collection of tool. See link: http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/Enterprise-Tools/support-live-image for more information. I would suggest that you try the ISO and not successful try apply within the SLI

No Events found!