Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2016 18:00

R710 fan pin layout

Hello All,

I have a R710 motherboard that needs fans. I do not have the server case, I do not have the original fans or the fan chassis. However, I do have two CPU coolers. I would love to use them, but the plugs don't match. The original fans' being a square 4-pin connector, and the CPU coolers' being a linear 4-pin connector. I figured I could convert the 4-pin linear into a square plug, but I would need to know the pin layout, i.e. which is ground, which is signal, etc.

To summarize, does anyone know the pin layout for the fans in the R710? I could not find the answer anywhere else, and technical support was pointless considering I do not have a service tag number.

Thank you. 

4 Posts

April 13th, 2019 11:00

Only just over 3 years late, but the info may be useful to someone. Each plug-in fan cassette for the PowerEdge R710 has a floating 4 pin (2 rows of 2 pins) female connector. I believe the pitch is around 2.2mm but I haven't been able to identify the connector or the logo on it. That female connector has a polarizing lump on one side.

The mating PCB plug has a 1/4" square hole which accepts and centralises the fan connector when the cassette is plugged in. The side wall of the male header has a slot in it which accepts the polarizing lump on the female fan connector.

Imagine that slot in the PCB header is on the left side. We then have :

Top Left RED +12V power from mobo.

Top Right BLU PWM speed demand I/P. Mobo drives this with an open collector, fan does pullup.

Bottom Left YEL Open collector Tacho O/P from fan.

Bottom Rgt. BLK GND from mobo.

Hope that helps somebody. If anybody discovered the details of the connector I would love to know. The logo is like an embossed square, with small small notches out of the sides, and a sunken ltter J in it/ The J has a large top bar, like a capital T does. Thanks.

NOTE : This information is offered in good faith but is not warranted to be correct. Any and all use of it, or risk taken with it, is your responsibility.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2019 11:00

Only just over 3 years late, but the info may be useful to someone. Each plug-in fan cassette for the PowerEdge R710 has a floating 4 pin (2 rows of 2 pins) female connector. I believe the pitch is around 2.2mm but I haven't been able to identify the connector or the logo on it. That female connector has a polarizing lump on one side.

The mating PCB plug has a 1/4" square hole which accepts and centralises the fan connector when the cassette is plugged in. The side wall of the male header has a slot in it which accepts the polarizing lump on the female fan connector.

Imagine that slot in the PCB header is on the left side. We then have :

Top Left        RED        +12V power from mobo.

Top Right      BLU        PWM speed demand I/P. Mobo drives this with an open collector, fan does pullup.

Bottom Left   YEL        Open collector Tacho O/P from fan.

Bottom Rgt.  BLK        GND from mobo.

Hope that helps somebody. If anybody discovered the details of the connector I would love to know. The logo is like an embossed square, with small small notches out of the sides, and a sunken ltter J in it/ The J has a large top bar, like a capital T does. Thanks.

NOTE : This information is offered in good faith but is not warranted to be correct. Any and all use of it, or risk taken with it, is your responsibility.

No Events found!