Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 13th, 2014 07:00

R730xd Flex Bay Backplane part numbers

We ordered a R730xd server with the 12 front 3.5" drives bays but without the rear flex bay populated and need to populate them now.  Our server did not come with the backplane or cables for the flex bay but it has the slots for it.

Our Dell sales rep have not been able to find the parts to upgrade the server to install the flex bay drives. Does anyone here have any idea what part numbers we need?  Or alternatively if the R720xd backplane and cables are the same?  I can find the R720xd backplane part # and it is 0JDG3 and the cables were 4NM23, 97J8N, 123W8 and KV109.

• 

8.8K Posts

November 13th, 2014 12:00

Slingshotz,

The R720xd rear HDD configuration is only supported at, or before, the time of sale. That doesn't mean you can't add the parts in and it will work, but there isn't an upgrade package for the parts needed offered by Dell. There may be a couple other options available. If you would, could you Private Message me the Svc Tag and I can look into it for you.   

11 Posts

November 20th, 2014 07:00

I PM'd the service tag to you.  Thanks for looking into this.

1 Message

December 18th, 2014 14:00

We also made the mistake of not ordering the flex bay option...

11 Posts

December 18th, 2014 16:00

We've gone through many channels and Dell will not sell the parts as an upgrade to enable the flex bay option.  Doesn't make any sense to me personally.  I can understand not selling the parts to turn a R730 into a R730xd as they are different models but the flex bay is merely an option on a R730xd.  If they didn't allow you to add the flex bay option after the fact, they really should sell the flex bay model as a completely different model, ie R730xf

I'm hoping that some of the aftermarket manufacturers out there will start to carry the flex bay parts like they did with the R720xd.

We were so frustrated with this, that I was almost going to just call in warranty support for a R730xd to get the flex bay parts and just not return the "defective" parts so that Dell would just charge me for them.  That way I could have also seen the actual part numbers on the boxes they would have shipped me.

1 Message

July 12th, 2019 12:00

So are the backplane parts not available from Dell for the R730xd flex bay? If not, then are the DPNs even known or listed to find it third party? We have the 2.5" 24 front slot model and would like to use the 2 back slots.

No Events found!