Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2017 10:00

R815 Storage battery issue

Hello all,

I am currently working on a PowerEdge R815. A few days ago the display showed a Storage Battery error, so I replace the Storage battery. The display went blue again with no errors. 24 hours later the same error was displayed again. I replaced the battery again and same thing happened again. I can't find much on this server or issue. Am I missing something?

• 

8.8K Posts

April 21st, 2017 05:00

Kikwear13,

An out of date controller can explain why you are getting the battery errors. I would update the controller, as well as the BIOS, and iDracwhile you have the maintenance window. Now the current BIOS is version 3.2.2, if your BIOS is really far out of date, then we may need to walk it up to avoid causing issues with the motherboard. If so then you can find "Other versions" listed below the BIOS update on support.dell.com.

,After updating then clear the hardware log and then let me know if the error returns.

Thanks.

4 Posts

April 28th, 2017 08:00

Thank you for the suggestion Chris. I was not able to do this yet as the server was in use. I will try this once our team gets everything running on another host. Should be later today or over the weekend.

4 Posts

May 8th, 2017 14:00

Chris,

I finally had a chance to do what you suggested. There server display is currently switching from blue back to amber every 10-20 seconds. I will give it 24 hours and see what happens.

Thanks for you help.

4 Posts

May 10th, 2017 14:00

Chris,

I have updated the Controller, BIOS, and iDrac. I also cleared the hardware log as suggested. As I said in my last post, the status screen was changing from Blue to Amber about every 10 seconds. Just for the heck of it, I changed the batter again (New) and cleared the log out again. when I first booted the server it was Blue, however this morning it was solid amber again (Not blue and amber like before).

After 24 hours, the light is still amber and back to the original issue (Same Storage battery error).

Is there anything else I can try?

• 

8.8K Posts

May 24th, 2017 05:00

When you replaced the battery, did you allow it time to charge before powering up?

No Events found!