Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2017 09:00

R930 server is making too much noise.

We bought a new Dell R930 server and it was setup today buy the dealer. It is making noise as if a jet plane is taking of. That doesn't sound right to me when there is no load on the system. Probably there is a setting somewhere to adjust it (I didn't want to intervene with the dealer who claimed it as normal for 4U server - but we have other servers from other vendors as well and they are quiet).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 12:00

Hello.

Where is the source of noise? Check to see whether or not third party PCIe cards are installed. The fan speed of 13 G servers like R930 is substantially increased when third party cards are detected. Ensure that you have system BIOS and iDRAC firmware up to date.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2017 04:00

You would tell me the source of noise, basically it is the fans running at over 3000 RPM even under no load.

No 3rd party card is installed. Here is the config:

Dell PowerEdge R930 Server

4x Intel Xeon E7-4850 v4 2.1GHz,
16C256GB (16*16GB) DDR RDIMM Memory
2*800GB SSD SATA
2.5" chassis with up to 24 drives
2+2 Power Supply, Redundant Configuration, 1100W

All fans working over 3000 RPM without a load simply doesn't sound right to me. 

Because I might be accused to be the cause of any fault, I am not touching to system at this moment myself.   At this moment I want this to be dealt by the vendor. What I am trying to learn, for Dell servers fans operating over 3000 RPM w/o any load and so their noise is a destiny or a setup error.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 28th, 2017 10:00

Ideally, operating fan RPM of 3000 under typical data center ambient temperatures is optimal even when not under much load. If it is about the noise levels, you may select Performance Per Watt (DAPC or OS) under the iDRAC BIOS settings or manually set the cooling levels for the system fans. See pages 56 and 183 of the Users; Guide for more information: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-r930_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

3 Posts

March 30th, 2017 04:00

I said, under NO-LOAD. 

Interestingly, another 6 * 4U Dell servers also started to service this week. That one, in a single cabinet, doesn't make noise. The main difference is that the newer one has 4 * AMD Opteron 6274 CPUs (6 * 4=24 in total) while the noisy one has 4 * Intel XEON 4850 CPUs. So are you saying that with XEON CPUs it is normal to have that noise? I believe it is a fault and should be a setting in BIOS and\or management software. It doesn't say anywhere in your manual that it is normal to have that noise, would you tell me the page number where that is written please.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2017 13:00

The manual was meant to guide you on how to make recommended changes in the iDRAC BIOS which may help to lower noise levels. I suppose both processors have 115 W power rating. How many processor cores are enabled in each processor? Higher processor core count, power greater than 115 W and installation of some components such as Fusion I/O, GPU etc result into increased noise levels.

No Events found!