Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2013 01:00

UPS Alarm #149

I have alarm #149 showing on my Dell Rack 1000W UPS. The user manual says this alarm is "A faulted battery string has been detected and as a result, the charger is disabled." Reseating the battery did not resolve the error. I switched the battery with another similar UPS, and no error appeared, so the problem might be in the UPS and not related to the battery. What could have gone wrong if not the battery? Any further tests I can do? Can I simply re-enable the charging? 

Appreciate your help...

• 

6.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 10:00

Hell mhlb

This issue can be caused by old firmware, loose connection, faulty battery, or a faulty UPS. I would suggest that you clear the error, update the firmware if a newer version is available, and swap the battery with the one from your other UPS. If the error returns then parts will need to be replaced. If it returns on the other UPS that you moved the battery to then it would appear to be the battery. If it returns on the original UPS the error was on with a different battery then I would suspect a faulty UPS.

Thanks

2 Posts

February 28th, 2013 02:00

I've cleared the error and updated the firmware. The UPS was charging again and the alarm did not reappear so far.

Thanks a lot for your help.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 10:00

I've replaced all 3 batteries and updated the firmware on my Dell UPS1000W

I still get the #149 error and the Dell UPS Management software says the charger has failed with the battery level at 65%

Suggestions?

• 

6.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 09:00

It sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. If it is charging then the unit appears functional, but if it is not holding a high enough charge then the battery will go to a failed state. Over time the battery's charge capacity diminishes. Once it can no longer hold a certain charge capacity it will go to a failed state.

Thanks

3 Posts

No, all 3 batteries in it are brand new, only a few days old. I've updated the firmware also. I still am getting a failed charger notice.

I am wondering if it could be one or more failed transistors, I am ready to junk the unit and replace with a quality APC UPS.

• 

6.2K Posts

If you have already replaced the battery then the unit will need to be replaced. There are only really three things you can do with a UPS, update firmware, replace the battery, or replace the unit.

3 Posts

That is what I was wanting to confirm, thank you.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

In the process to resolve the #149 error message, our company server was infected with ransomware. The link I used was one of the top links displayed when I did a search, and part of the instruction is in German. When I pasted the link in this comment, the link turns into a hugh graphic. I'll try to paste the link in a separate comment.

Please beware - wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

Here's the link I mentioned in my previous message. To prevent the graphic from popping up, I've split the link into 2 parts:

1) de.

2) community.dell.com/techcenter/power-cooling/w/wiki/1281.dell-ups-error-149-troubleshooting

I clicked on "DELL UPS Firmwareupgrade Tool", downloaded and installed the firmware. The #149 message went away for 2-3 days (now it's back) and the next thing I know, files on the server were encrypted.

Someone please verify this and shut down the site!

No Events found!