Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 24th, 2012 06:00

USB Failure on OS Start up Poweredge 2650

I have purchased 6 Dell Poweredge 2650s used.  Now I am not sure how they have it set up, but when the computer is in the boot up sequence I can use the keyboard and mouse to enter the BIOS, but when Windows Server 2000 on one and 2003 on the others boot up it shuts down the USB ports.  I am new to working with Servers and would appreciate any help with this.  I am thinking it has to be part of the previous owners settings and it could be something that is part of the BIOS.  Which from looking in there I didn't see anything where USB was disabled.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 24th, 2012 11:00

"I didn't see anything in the BIOS about it being disabled on OS startup"

Such a setting does not exist.

Have you given it sufficient time for Windows to load drivers for them (up to 10 minutes)?  You may need to get PS/2 adapters for your USB KVM (if your KVM supports them).

Not all systems have a "legacy USB" option ... USB on the 2650 IS legacy (the 2650 shipped from Dell between 2002 and 2004) :)  Your only options in the BIOS is to enable or disable USB.

I have had very mixed results using USB mouse/keyboard on a 2650 - in some cases the drivers are extremely slow to load, in some cases, they never do.

27 Posts

August 24th, 2012 12:00

Agree with flash here.

It is very hit or miss with 2650 and USB support. If you are currently able to load into the OS with PS2, then do so, once in the OS environment plug in the USB keyboard and mouse and pray it installs a generic driver.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 24th, 2012 13:00

I have not noticed any difference between 2003 and 2008, although the hardware/driver mechanism can only be better in 2008.  Since the 2650 can only run 32-bit OS's, 2008 R2 and 2012 are not options.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2012 13:00

Thanks I will try that with all of them.  I would have thought that Dell servers would have all been consistent.  I'll try loading in with PS2 first then as TP put it pray that it installs a generic driver.  Would upgrading to the newest Windows Server or who different OS help at all?  I do appreciate the assistance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 24th, 2012 08:00

I can't think of anything to do with the system itself that would cause that.  USB can be enabled, disabled, or enabled with BIOS support (pre-OS), but none of those should change the operation once it hits the OS.  

Did this mouse/keyboard come with the server or are they yours?  Have you tried a PS/2 mouse/keyboard?  They didn't "wipe" the servers/drives when they sold it?!

4 Posts

August 24th, 2012 10:00

I've tried PS2 hookup for keyboard and that works, but I didn't see anything in the BIOS about it being disabled on OS startup.

I'm also using a KVM switch and tried plugging the keyboard and mouse in directly and got the same results. My KVM is all USB as well. Just strange.

I did read somewhere on the net that maybe legacy USB was turned off. Not sure what that is or where to find it in the BIOS.

No Events found!