Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2012 07:00

Upgrade Dell 2950 HDD

Hi,

We need to increase our DELL 2950 servers HDD's.

Currently we have 5 HDD each 420 GB (configured RAID 5) & need to upgrade every HDD to 600 GB each.

Can anyone assist me how to do it without affecting RAID configuration & data.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 28th, 2012 08:00

Geoff is right in that the space will not/cannot be integrated into the existing space, however, you CAN create a second array across the disks using the new unused/available RAID space.  You would basically be able to create a second 5-disk RAID 5 using the extra/new 150GB from each disk, for roughly 600GB of new space.  Keep in mind that this new array will be seen by your OS as a new "disk", so the space cannot be merged with existing space.  For example - you could not increase the size of existing partitions - this would simply give you a new drive/partition to use.

990 Posts

Good morning, surajyk.

The supported method to upgrading the drives is to backup your data, install the new drives and recreate the array,  reinstall the OS and restore the data.   However, there are unsupported third party imaging tools that have been used to create an image of your current array and reinstall on the larger drives and array.  Your fellow users may have used these tools and will let them add to this post.

Have a good day,

4 Posts

Thanks Geoff.

Can I add one by one HDD in array as hot swap.. what will happen if I use this method. It will work or not.

990 Posts

You can, but the space is unused. It will match the drive space its replacing.  

Regards,

4 Posts

Thanks Geoff & Flash for your valuable info.

4 Posts

Thanks Geoff & Flash for your valuable information.

No Events found!