Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2010 03:00

about R410, can it be layed vertically on a table like a normal desktop?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to place a rack server R410 vertically on a flat table as we don't have a rack shelf currently.

Can you guys recommend a rack compatiable with R410? Is there any installation guide for R410?

Much appreciated.

Alex

November 2nd, 2011 12:00

All Poweredge servers are designed to lay in a rackmount, and therefore will not provide adequate cooling in a vertical position.

I know it sounds weird, but trust me. The unit WILL overheat if it is not laid down.

November 2nd, 2011 12:00

Sorry, did you mean horizontally on a table? That works well, but a rack is pretty cheap on e-bay.

The rack installation instructions may be a little difficult, but installing the server into the rack is pretty much a no-brainer.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

November 2nd, 2011 15:00

I just cant imagine that if the system is on its left or right side in a vertical positionn that it would get hot. The fans work the same way no matter what position its in. Just dont block the front or rear vents, and you should be good.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

November 3rd, 2011 08:00

I spoke to an Engineer friend at Dell, he said that has long as the front and rear vents werent blocked, there would be no issues with laying the unit on its side.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 09:00

I can also tell you, having run a dozen or so 2850 (rackmount) servers on their sides (why is a long story) for several years, they do not overheat.

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 16:00

We all know heat rises, so if you are going to do this then i suggest you make sure the psu's are at the top. The heat from the psu's would then dissipate throught the chassis and not wash over the motherboard. I don't think it would be a major issue but every little helps.

November 3rd, 2011 19:00

I can tell you from experience that storage units will overheat from running on their side. I would not trust another rackmount unit used vertically.

No Events found!