Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2013 13:00

can't get my keyboard/mouse (and my USBs) don't work on my PowerEdge SC430

Hi,

I have a PowerEdge SC430.  I am unable to use my keyboard and/or mouse on my system because they keyboard is connected via USB.  I even installed a 5 port USB host card and the USBs are not recognized by the system/bios.  Basically when I turn on the system I get a keyboard failure.  The system does not have an old style keyboard plug so the keyboard gets plugged into a USB source.  Any ideas on how I can gain access?  My keyboard and mouse do not work.  Any advice and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Joe L.

6 Posts

April 9th, 2013 14:00

Basically I took this project on as a consulting basis.  I have no idea how the system got like this.  All I know now is that every USB including the front and back ones do not work.  Where exactly is the  RTCRST or NVRAM on the system board?  I'm having trouble finding it.

• 

8.8K Posts

April 9th, 2013 14:00

Have you tried the front as well as the rears?

Was the USB controller disabled in the BIOS previously?

What was happening when this started?

One thing you can try is to

Power off the system and unplug the system from its power source.

Then on the systemboard  next to the sata ports you will see a jumper labeled RTCRST or NVRAM.

Move the RTCRST jumper to pins 2 and 3

Apply power for a few 10 seconds, then power off again.

Move the RTCRST jumper to pins 1 and 2.

Close the system cover and power the system back on.

Let me know how that goes.

6 Posts

April 9th, 2013 15:00

I found the RTCRST jumper.....let me go change it up like you suggested...

what do you actually mean by "Apply power for a few 10 seconds, then power off again. "

how do you power it on for only 10 seconds?

do you want me to turn the machine on .....wait for the boot process to begin, then turn off power?  im confused a little.

• 

8.8K Posts

April 9th, 2013 15:00

Just power it on till you see an indication of power. A light or something.

Then power back down and restore the jumper.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2013 04:00

Chris,

I am having the same problem with my server, but my server is Poweredge r210. Though my do boot and load the OS until I clear the CMOS hoping it will detect the USB keyboard or the mouse, unfortunately it do not and not even loading the OS again because of the keyboard error. Please what else can I do?

April 21st, 2021 10:00

How did you solve your problem? I have the same issue with my T420.

• 

4.1K Posts

April 21st, 2021 19:00

Hi would you try

RTCRST  jumper ? https://dell.to/3dHdQEJ

(page 2)

January 26th, 2022 18:00

Same problem here with my T420. Just stopped working from one day to another. Does anyone solved the problem? iDRAC Enterprise doesn’t accept commands in console too.

• 

3.4K Posts

January 26th, 2022 23:00

Hi @thiago.thd,

I had to ask, is BIOS accessible? You have tried all ports, front and back, all of them not working?

You mentioned about iDRAC not accepting commands in console, could you elaborate that? 

Have you tried power drain method? https://dell.to/3ILoFCl

Have you tried BIOS reset method mentioned by Chris?

January 27th, 2022 03:00

Hey Joey. Thanks for reply.

Nothing is acessible because the Server stops at "Keyboard failure" message.

I can access iDRAC, configure anything, but I cant interact when opening the console. technically, if the problem is the USB ports, I should be able to access BIOS through iDRAC Console View, but not.

I tried Drain, unplug and disconnect everything, keeping only CPU and memories... Nothing works.

• 

3.3K Posts

January 27th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

did you try another keyboard on another port?

Regards Martin

No Events found!