Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 24th, 2016 20:00

convert T110 server to windows 7 desktop

I have an older PowerEdge T110 server with a bad HD and do not have the original server software to reinstall. I would like to replace the HD and install Windows 7.

My question is whether this is possible or will I run into BIOS security issues, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 25th, 2016 07:00

If you are running 2008 R2, you can still download evaluation media and activate with your key.

Windows 7 will "probably" work fine, but there is no guarantee, as no "client" OS is supported on any Dell server. Graphics will be one hit/miss area - the onboard graphics does not have enough memory for Windows 7, so it would run in low-graphics mode. Server's aren't designed to take add-in graphics cards ... doesn't mean they won't work, just that it may require some trial/error to find one that would work (if needed).

Compatibility will be your biggest obstacle ... not sure what you mean by "BIOS security issues".

July 25th, 2016 10:00

Thanks for the quick reply. It was running Server 2003 and the key went with the lost media.  BIOS security is my concern about lost passwords during login. However I'm leaning toward a new PC. Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 25th, 2016 12:00

It was running Server 2003 and the key went with the lost media.

Should be on the server chassis. You are better off leaving 2003 behind anyway.

BIOS security is my concern about lost passwords during login.

... still not following.

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

July 25th, 2016 23:00

However I'm leaning toward a new PC. Thanks again.

PE T110 is not a PC, it is a server best placed in a room other than where people sit.

And sinceit is a server, you will have some challenges when trying to turn it into a PC.

Your biggest problem may be when trying to add a graphics card. And controlling the fan speed which want to blow hard when stuff is added to the machine (and thus creates lots of noise) is also a challenge...

Best get a consumer based PC to avoid hassles unless you like such challenges and have much spare time to make things work :emotion-1:

No Events found!