Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2013 08:00

recommendation for USB 3 PCIe card for PowerEdge T320 Server?

Can anyone recommend a USB 3 PCIe card I can use in a T320 Server for backups to external USB 3.0 HD? I'm surprised that Dell servers still aren't built with this technology and I'm guessing there are a lot of people that are backing up their servers to USB drives. If Windows Server backup would do incremental backups to a NAS I would go that route but it seems you can't get there from here. Thanks for any suggestions! Michael

14 Posts

May 7th, 2013 22:00

+1 - bump for same question

1 Message

June 14th, 2013 12:00

+1 Same need.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 14th, 2013 12:00

No guarantees, but your best chance is to use a USB card with an NEC USB 3 chip and not a VIA USB chip.

I believe the HighPoint RocketU series use such NEC chips.

14 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 00:00

Just wanted to add to the knowledge base.

Running a PowerEdge T320 server.

Installed a Startech USB 3 card because the website says specifically it has windows 2008 support.

Seems to be running fine.  I did do a firmware upgrade on a separate workstation before I dared drop it into the server.

purchased from newegg

model

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-PEXUSB3S2/dp/B002XVVIQE

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 07:00

According to the Dell PowerVault Compatibility Matrix:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-rd1000_Reference%20Guide9_en-us.pdf

on page 17 they state:

"Limited testing has been performed on each S&P product and the listed Dell PowerVault System; however, the S&P products have not been certified in Dell PowerEdge servers.

Dell Storage & Peripherals USB 3.0 Host Bus Adapters Host Bus Adapter

Dell PowerVault System

Dell Tape Backup Unit

Belkin 2-Port PCI Express USB 3.0

External

PowerVault RD1000 Ext USB

PV114X

PowerVault RD1000 Rack USB

StarTech 2-Port PCI Express USB 3.0

External

PowerVault RD1000 Ext USB

PV114X

PowerVault RD1000 Rack USB

Too bad they don't say which models they tested, but at least we have a choice of the StarTech or Belkin to start. This Matrix does cover the latest generation of servers.

Rich

Allsysgo

6 Posts

March 31st, 2014 13:00

Hi i purchased a

StarTechcom 2PORT 5 GBPS USB 30 PCI EXPRESS ADAPTER CARD PEXUSB3S23 Components USB ControllersHubs.

Having problems trying to install in a dell t320 windows 2008r2. Is there any changes require in the server bios. Device manger shows all okay, but a basic usb kb does not work.

14 Posts

March 31st, 2014 20:00

Well... Please remember that the expansion cards (usb3) are not initialized at time of BIOS. Thus the keyboard will not work until AFTER you've booted into the OS and installed the correct drivers if you're running off the startech card. Also, I believe windows does NOT come with the required usb3 drivers as I had to download them manually and install it that way. You might want to run the keyboard / mouse off the built in usb2 slots so they will be recognized at boot up. The usb3 is really only useful for newer flash/external hard drives that can use the extra bandwidth.
No Events found!