Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2020 02:00

trying to update BIOS on PE R610 - frustrated

I have a PowerEdge R610 rack mount that I'm trying to upgrade the BIOS from 6.4.0 to 6.6.0. This server is running VMware ESXi as the OS. I finally found an article about getting into the ESXi OS level and running the ./ xxxx.BIN command and it attempts to do the upgrade, but fails with not enough contiguous memory. Rebooting didn't fix the issue. I found an article by a VMware person about using the Dell Update Repository Manager and I've downloaded that and attempted to use it.  However, when I get to the screen where I can select my server, R610 is NOT in the list...what???  

This should be so simple; all I want to do is update the BIOS.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanx...

10 Posts

June 1st, 2020 19:00

So, I finally found a way to do this.  I ended up downloading the Windows executable for the BIOS upgrade to 6.6.0 from the Dell web site.I chose the non-packaged version R610-060600C.exe that is meant to be loaded from a Dos bootable flash drive. Then I used an old version of Rufus on an equally old Windows 7 machine on a small flash drive as this was the only way to get Rufus to give me the format that I needed.  After creating the bootable flash drive, I copied the .exe file onto it and was able to do a BIOS update on both my R610's.   The article I used was: https://blah.cloud/hardware/flashing-over-oem-r-biosfirmware-on-dell-hardware/

10 Posts

May 28th, 2020 04:00

FYI... I did try booting the server and using the Services manager to do the update, but I can't connect to ftp.dell.com

10 Posts

May 28th, 2020 06:00

I have an iDrac6 and I updated the firmware on it last night to 2.92. 

I'll have to look into the other options you suggested.

Thanx...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 28th, 2020 06:00

You probably need to update your LCC/iDRAC to connect to the FTP site, it's probably as out of date as the BIOS.

You can easily update the BIOS using the iDRAC ... IF you have already set up access. If not, you can configure it if you have the OMSA VIB installed in ESX, or you boot to the CTRL-E prompt during POST. Once logged into the iDRAC interface, you can use the Windows update package at the Update screen to update the BIOS. Just be sure to update the rest of the hardware as well.

Alternatively, you can boot to SMTD/SBUU and use SUU as the repository to update everything (or use the Repository Manager to build a custom bootable ISO for your machine).

10 Posts

May 28th, 2020 08:00

I installed the OMSA VIB on my R610 host and I installed the OpenManage Server Administrator on my Windows machine and I have successfully connected to my host. However, I don't see anyway in the Administrator to do any kind of firmware or BIOS update.

And I've already tried the Repository manager to build the ISO and the R610 isn't an option when I go to select what hosts I want to have packages for. 

No Events found!