Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2010 13:00

Cannot get server 2003 loaded on PE 2850

I have a PE 2850 3-disks, raid5, i have been trying to install server 2003. i have tried server assistant v. 8.4, 8.7, 8.10., all fail. i have tried setting up the array via ctrl-m then inserting the server 2003 disk and running setup, fails. I have tried server 2003, 2003 sp1, 2003 sp2, all fail. All the methods fail in about the same way...it stalls on "setup is starting windows", sometimes it stalls there for say 10 minutes and gives me a BSOD session3_initialization_failed or just stalls right there...after a half hour i just turn it off. The only way to get it to install is to set the "OS install mode" to on in the bios (which is updated to current version, as is all firmware). I can install any version of server 2003 in any fashion with this set to "on". i can then install all patches from windows update. i do get memory prompts stating im running low on virtual memory and is increasing pagefile size. This is obviously because of the limits the OS install mode gives to available memory of 256mb, but as soon as i turn off this setting, windows, after it is installed and patched, stalls on the "starting windows" splash screen. If i turn it off at any point within the setup progress, at any reboot, it stalls. if i turn it back on in boots. 

HISTORY...

This server has been running server 2000 since 2005.  it installed when server was new with no issues. I wish i still had the server 2000 disks to see if this is still the case but alas i do not.  it started to reboot sporadically on its own with no apparent reason (talked with dell tech also, created the dset report ... nothing could be seen in it) so it was taken out of service and replaced. Seeing as we could find no hardware issues and no obviously other system issues i figured a fresh install would do the trick and it has. the server, at the 256mb limit, has not reboot on its own as of yet...it was sporadic.

OTHER INFO...

...4gb memory...installed correctly...this is an upgrade from factory installed 1gb. i did reinstall the original memory with same results.

...2nd power supply is installed

...all diagnostics (disk, memory, etc) come back as passed

...also tried installing from usb cdrom...same results.

...used F6 and loaded current perc drivers...same results

...disabled everything in bios...same results

...reset the bios...same results

13 Posts

June 15th, 2010 08:00

Thanks to all who posted with there recommendations! It turns out out the culprit was the processor. Picked one up on ebay for 29.90. OS is installing as i type. Working like a charm!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 26th, 2010 15:00

Well, it sounds to me as if there may be a problem with the memory controller or BIOS' handling of the memory, but here are some thoughts ...

Did you run the 32-bit diags - MPMemory, looped a few times to see if you could provoke a failure?

Does the memory register as the correct amount in the BIOS?

When you say you "reset the BIOS", did you choose the BIOS option of "reset" or did you clear the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard near the system memory.  This completely clears the BIOS hardware list, forcing it to rebuild it on the next boot.  If you did this, did you see the BIOS warning on booting up that the jumpers were installed?

Have you tried to flash the BIOS?  What version is it at?  I must say there is some risk in doing this when it does not appear to be working properly, but then again, it is not much good limited to 256MB either.

What you also might try, is changing the Embedded RAID to SCSI Enabled, then boot to CTRL-A, Disk Utilities, then Format.  You could try at this point to install.  Try creating different RAID arrays across the disks, then back (RAID 0 then RAID 1, etc.).  You might try installing to a single disk in RAID mode - or even see if it does the same thing in SCSI mode.  These are somewhat time-consuming things to try - but it depends on how desperate you are to resolve it.  It may seem unrelated, but these steps will alleviate any residual data/problems that may be residing on the disk.

Do you have another OS you can try to install ... Linux, 2008?

12.7K Posts

March 26th, 2010 15:00

13 Posts

March 29th, 2010 06:00

Thanks for the depth of your response.  I did clear the NVRAM using the jumpers...rebooted, moved the jumper position back to the default, then made the appropriate mods to the bios. The current version of the bios is A07.   I have not attempted to install any other OS's other than the diff't versions of 2003.  I will give the rest of your recommendations a go. Ill let you know.

347 Posts

March 29th, 2010 14:00

If you have a DRAC 4 card in the system, upon bootup, when prompted to do a Cntrl E for the Remote Access setup, do so, then in the Virtual Media Configuration, set the Virtual Media to detached. Once the OS installs and is complete, go back in and set it to attached (or future DRAC firmware updates will fail if you dont do so).

13 Posts

March 30th, 2010 06:00

No DRAC 4 card is installed...but thanks for the suggestion.

347 Posts

March 30th, 2010 11:00

do you have any other 2850s that  you might be able to swap parts with?

13 Posts

March 30th, 2010 12:00

nope. have one 2950.

347 Posts

March 30th, 2010 16:00

I agree with flash, this sounds very memory related. did you try initializing the hard drive raid set and doing a complete (rather than quick) format on the drive?

13 Posts

March 31st, 2010 13:00

Looped mpmemory multiple times...no errors. Memory does register as correct in bios. Changed to scsi enabled, formatted. Tried installation in scsi mode...same result (stalled on, setup is installing windows...5+minute hang then session3_initialization_error).  Tried Raid0 using single disk...same result. Tried to install OPENSuse...it froze on the last leg...i can only assume it failrd for the same reason?? I may try to install XP tomorrow.

13 Posts

March 31st, 2010 14:00

Also ran memtest86+ before installing openSuse, since it was included with the installation. It also passed.

13 Posts

Nope no other 2850's. I did try the installs with a usb CD/DVD drive...all the same results.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Do you have another 2850 that you can try to swap with ... maybe your CD/DVD drive is bad.

347 Posts

March 31st, 2010 15:00

I apologize, but are you 100% sure you dont have a Dell Remote Access card in the system? Do you have a network jack to the left of the serial port and then 2 network jacks next to the USB ports?

13 Posts

April 8th, 2010 06:00

Also, installed OPENSuse with bios setting "OS Install Mode" set to on. It completed sucessfully just as server 2003 did with this setting set to "on". OpenSuse starts after installation....was able to get network/internet connected....but all still with the 256MB limit. As soon as i change the setting back to "off", it freezes on the boot at different points...it once got to the OpenSuse desktop and froze there.

Is there a way to use the other DIMM banks, without using the first 2?

If the problem is the memory controller can this be tested?

Is there some obscure setting im missing?

No Events found!