Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2017 12:00

Dell R310 and Sas 300

Hello brothers,

I'm facing a problem when Installing OS : windows server 2012 or 2008 that's windows cant detect the SAS hard drive.

by the way I have 2 hard disk SAS 300 GB I tried every thing dell UIEF and Bios and reset all hardware setting and change saa to Raid and made Raid 1 also nothing same problem ...

I think I need to setup driver for SAS but which one?? and how install it or updated  

thanks

6 Posts

August 14th, 2017 14:00

so what I need to work this hard disk?

thanks 

• 

6.2K Posts

August 14th, 2017 14:00

Hello

The ports on the system board are SATA. It does not matter which mode you set the embedded SATA controller it will not support SAS drives. If you need to use SAS drives then you should install an add-on controller. All of the supported add-on controllers I'm aware of support SAS.

SAS is backwards compatible with SATA. All SAS controllers I'm aware of support SATA as well. SATA controllers do not support SAS.

Thanks

6 Posts

August 14th, 2017 15:00

So I need controller for SAS perc300? 

I can install 2 hard disks sata on this board ?

6 Posts

August 14th, 2017 15:00

I attached specifications for R310!!!!!!

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 15th, 2017 08:00

I attached specifications for R310!!!!!!

Why, to somehow prove you are right? Yes, SAS drives are an option, but you must understand the basics of attaching and using hardware in your server.

Either 1) you need a controller to attach the SAS drives to (you can't attach them to the onboard SATA ports, or 2) you have a controller and need to a) configure RAID before the install, or b) load drivers for it during the install.

How are your drives attached? To a controller? Backplane? WHICH controller?
Which OS? Pick one and let's start there.

No Events found!