Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2016 20:00

Feasible to Virtual Machine a Win2K3 x86 Image Within Server 2008?

We have this old Dell PowerEdge T110 server that runs a 32 bit version of Windows 2003 Server Standard. The core issue at the moment is that because it runs specialized software to run our point of sale system, we cannot upgrade it to a 64 bit OS. We are currently in queue for an upgrade of the HDD array. That said, would this make any sense in doing:

1. Copy the existing system volume into a virtual machine image (we have not picked a software yet)

2. Install new hard drive array + install Windows 2008 Server (or better)

3. Create a virtual machine

4. Load that VM image into the virtual machine? 

5. If it fails, just put the old HDD array back into the server?

This is with the hopes that maybe the VM will run more stable than running natively? 

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 26th, 2016 22:00

Should work fine, but it still doesn't make running 2003 okay. I understand you are stuck, but the hardware is the same, the software is the same ... it won't be any more or less stable than running directly on the hardware. It just will free up some of the hardware to do something more modern.

125 Posts

September 26th, 2016 22:00

Yes, I was kind of thinking along those lines as well. It's been terribly frustrating dealing with this machine. Currently troubleshooting some hardware failures and was thinking how stable it might be if I tried installing something more modern. I guess I will just try to resolve our current hardware issues and not bother with trying to VM this thing. Thank you.

No Events found!