Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2005 13:00

Redhat Enterprise Linux AS 4

I am trying to install the latest version of RedHat Enterprise Linux AS 4 onto a PE1650, but the Dell install boot CD doesn't have AS 4 as a supported version. Is there a new version of Dell install CD that supports AS 4?

815 Posts

November 4th, 2005 16:00

The latest version of DOSA does support RHEL 4, but doesn't support the 1650.  Why not just perform a manual install?  Also Dell hasn't validated RHEL 4 on the 1650 either.

3 Posts

November 11th, 2005 13:00

@DELL-EricB wrote:
The latest version of DOSA does support RHEL 4, but doesn't support the 1650. Why not just perform a manual install? Also Dell hasn't validated RHEL 4 on the 1650 either.

Thanks Eric,

If I install RedHat without the DOSA CD, how difficult is it to add the components that the DOSA CD would have installed?

Thanks for your help.
-Tom

815 Posts

November 11th, 2005 15:00

If you did an everything install, you have everything the DOSA would have installed.  The DOSA primarily creates your mount points and performs an everything install via an automated hard disk based kickstart.
After the install you can install the RHEL 4 version of OMSA so that you can manage your systems hardware.

3 Posts

February 4th, 2006 18:00

Well, it's me again. I tried to rescue my Dell Poweredge 1550 but it seems the RAID plex had one failed drive. I bought a new drive and resynched but still Fedora doesn't find the linux boot partition. So I gave up.

Now (and the reason for the post) is I'm cutting bate and have new 73 Gb drives mirrored with a PERC3/DC controller. I'm trying to install RedHat Linux AS 4. However, Redhat says the PERC3 controller is no longer supported in v4 due to the incorporation of the megaraid_mbox driver:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/as-zseries/RELEASE-NOTES-U1-s390x-en.html

"The kernel shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 1 includes the new megaraid_mbox driver from LSI Logic, which replaces the megaraid driver. The megaraid_mbox driver has an improved design, is compatible with the 2.6 kernel, and includes support for the latest hardware. However, megaraid_mbox does not support some of the older hardware that was supported by the megaraid driver."

So, there seems to be an option (linux dd) to load custom drivers. However, I downloaded the perc3 apps drivers but it doesn't load from this CD.

What do I need to do to get RH Linux AS 4 installed?

Thanks,
Marc

815 Posts

February 4th, 2006 22:00

You could download the installation media for RHEL 4 U1 or U2 and install using that media instead of the original version of RHEL4.
You can download the RHEL4 iso images from RHN.
No Events found!