Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2016 10:00

T330 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Install USB 3.0 Incompatibility

The T330 has no native USB 2.0 support.  Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installation media  has no native USB 3.0 support. So on OS installation the mouse and keyboard will not work.   I tried injecting the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 2008 server ISO (see: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN300618/en ).   Injection into the ISO works fine and it solves the problem of no keyboard or mouse in starting the OS installation

BUT once the base OS is installed and you come to the first post install  screen (when it is now booting from the hard drive ) to change password and continue setup, the keyboard and mouse are again in-operable.    My best guess is that the USB 3.0 drivers did not get installed to the hard drive.  I tried starting over and reinstalling the OS but same result.  The ISO creation per above KB post was clean and successful.  No errors.

I saw another Dell 'Faq' recommending disabling the USB 3.0 is system BIOS.  On this model - brand new T330 - with current, up-to-date BIOS,  there is no such BIOS setting/option.

Looking for a solution.   Had an older USB 2.0 PCI card, but the machine has no PCI slots.  Thinking of trying a USB 2.0 PCIE card.  

What is bewildering is  Dell sells the T330 with NO USB 2.0 compatibility - rendering installation of W2008R2 SP1 difficult and possibly  impossible.  NOTE: this OS is a Dell supported OS for the T330   I would not have purchased if  it was not  supposedly supported (I am restoring  a DC with this OS because of a failed  motherboard on a PE server).

2 Posts

August 6th, 2018 04:00

Kindly tell me your installation issue have resolve and how. i am face same issue when i am going to install windows server 2008 R2 and i am stuck. i need guidance and your guidance would be highly appreciated for me because of same issue. your urgent response would be highly appreciated. Regards, Cheem

2 Posts

August 6th, 2018 05:00

2 Posts

September 28th, 2018 16:00

I have fought with this for a week. I have injected and built countless ISOs and while keyboard/mouse works through setup after injecting, it's no longer there after booting from the hard drive at the change the password initial 08 r2 screen. Dell gave me an ISO and same thing. I ordered a PCIe USB card, the only one available, startech but I'm worried it won't work as they do not make Windows 7 drivers for it. Reviewers on Amazon have complained that it won't work on Windows 7...

No Events found!