Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 22nd, 2018 04:00

Dell MD1220 + Non Dell Certified Drives + Non PERC card ?

I plan to buy used Dell PV MD1220 off eBay and add Generic Drives (Non Certified Dell) in it. I will then connect the MD1220 to Dell PE R710, in which the storage controller is Standard Generic LSI card (Non Dell PERC). My question:

Since I am using Generic Drives and Generic LSI Storage Controller (Non Dell PERC):

a. Is Dell OpenManage still functioning and monitoring drives in case of failure?

b. Will it throw an alert that I am not using Certified Drives?

• 

7.1K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 07:00

Hello bigbulus, If you put in non-certified Dell drives into your MD1220 it will give an error & spin the drives down. Also, open manage may be able to talk to the LSI controller, & if it gives any alerts it will just be generic alerts. Seeing as you are going to be using a dell R710 server why not just use a PERC H800 to connect your MD1220. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

57 Posts

June 26th, 2018 08:00

I have no problem buying PERC H800. My concern is PERC H800 would not want to work with non Dell branded drives.

• 

7.1K Posts

June 26th, 2018 09:00

Hello bigbulus,

With an MD you have to use Dell branded drives as most drives that are not Dell drives are not seen by the MD.  Now you can try & use a different controller and you might get the drives seen.  Here is the link to the support matrix & if you look on page 10-16 list out the supported drives. http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/md1200_md1220_supportmatrix_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 26th, 2018 16:00

Sam's statement about having to use Dell branded drives only applies if the MD1220 is attached to an MD3200/MD3220.

If you attach an MD1220 to a PERC H800 (on the latest firmware), any drive brand will work, but sometimes the drive lights may not work or may not indicate when a drive failed. OMSA will likely report the drive as unsupported or so, but typically does allow you to use it for raid.

If you connect the MD1220 to a non-Dell HBA or raid controller, OMSA usually will not see the raid controller or the attached MD1220.

No Events found!