Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2014 05:00

Dell MD3620i Raid Contoller Module 0 Management IP Error

I get the following error when I try to set the Management IP address of the RAID Controller 0

Return code: Error 4 - The operation cannot complete because of an incorrect parameter in the command sent to the RAID controller module. Please retry the operation. If this message persists, contact your Technical Support Representative.

Operation when error occurred: PROC_setEthernetInterfaceProperties

Regards

• 

7.1K Posts

July 21st, 2014 06:00

Hello TangIT,

Are you trying to set the management IP through SMCIL or are you using the serial cable to try & set the management IP?  Also when you are trying to set IP does it let you put in the IP address, Subnet mask & gateway then give you the error or does it gives the error right after the IP address is put in?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

March 29th, 2016 14:00

After messing around with it a little, I was able to change the management IPs after going to the IPv6 settings for each controller and setting it to 'Obtain configuration automatically from DHCP server'. Hit okay for that to take place, then change your IPv4 addresses to what you want.

14 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 02:00

Thanks, this worked for me:

After messing around with it a little, I was able to change the management IPs after going to the IPv6 settings for each controller and setting it to 'Obtain configuration automatically from DHCP server'. Hit okay for that to take place, then change your IPv4 addresses to what you want.

No need for using the console cable with this solution.

Thanks again.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2014 17:00

Hi Sam L.

I am using the Modular Disk Storage Manager Client to access the SAN. I can enter the IP, Subnet & Gateway into the fields. After I click on OK, the windows with the cogs appears & then I receive the error. Below is the message that comes with it.

OPERATING ENVIRONMENT DATA

Client system name: E4025S01SV010

Client OS: Windows Server 2008 R2

Application version: 10.84.G6.54

Storage array management version: 10.84.G6.54

Storage array name: DELL-MD3620i-1

Firmware version: 07.84.53.60

Management class: devmgr.v1084api04.Manager

ERROR DATA

Command sent to RAID controller module in slot: 1

Host name: 192.168.129.101

IP address: 192.168.129.101

Return code: Error 4 - The operation cannot complete because of an incorrect parameter in the command sent to the RAID controller module. Please retry the operation. If this message persists, contact your Technical Support Representative.

Operation when error occurred: PROC_setEthernetInterfaceProperties

Timestamp: 19/07/2014 6:53:51 PM

STACK DATA

devmgr.v1084api04.sam.jal.ManagementOperationFailedException:

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.jal.SYMbolClient.dispatchOperation(SYMbolClient.java:569)

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.jal.StorageArrayFacade.issueCommand(StorageArrayFacade.java:10491)

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.jal.StorageArrayFacade.sendCommandCommon(StorageArrayFacade.java:10037)

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.jal.StorageArrayFacade.sendCommand(StorageArrayFacade.java:9964)

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.jal.StorageArrayFacade.setEthernetInterfaceProperties(StorageArrayFacade.java:13527)

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.configuration.interfaces.ChangeEthernetConfigDialog.changePortsConfiguration(ChangeEthernetConfigDialog.java:1017)

at devmgr.v1084api04.sam.configuration.interfaces.ChangeNetworkConfigDialog$2.performOp(ChangeNetworkConfigDialog.java:759)

at devmgr.v1084api04.shared.AbstractTaskAdapter.run(AbstractTaskAdapter.java:108)

THREAD DATA

Thread[Reference Handler,10,system]

Thread[Finalizer,8,system]

Thread[Signal Dispatcher,9,system]

Thread[Attach Listener,5,system]

Thread[Java2D Disposer,10,system]

Thread[TimerQueue,5,system]

Thread[AWT-Shutdown,5,main]

Thread[AWT-Windows,6,main]

Thread[EventQueueMonitor-ComponentEvtDispatch,5,main]

Thread[Thread-3,5,main]

Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main]

Thread[DestroyJavaVM,5,main]

Thread[SwingWorker-pool-2-thread-1,5,main]

Thread[ChangeDetector,6,main]

Thread[PreferenceStoreChangeDetector,6,main]

Thread[LogMsgThread,6,main]

Thread[Np_Link_Monitor0,6,main]

Thread[DMVGarbageCollectorThread,6,main]

Thread[RecoveryProfile-13,6,main]

Thread[AEN-14,6,main]

Thread[Timer-0,6,main]

Thread[SwingWorker-pool-2-thread-2,5,main]

Thread[SwingWorker-pool-2-thread-3,5,main]

Thread[Timer-17,6,main]

Thread[Image Animator 0,3,main]

Regards

• 

7.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2014 07:00

Hello TangIT,

Can I get you to send a screen shot of the IP when you first log into MDSM and then a screen shot of management port 0 and 1 when you get ready to change the IP’s & it gives you the error.  I will send you a private message that you can send the screen shots to.

February 6th, 2015 05:00

Was this issue resolved?

I am having the same problem

• 

7.1K Posts

February 11th, 2015 13:00

Hello stevendonnelly,

What you can do is set the RAID controller Module 0, Port 0 back to Obtain configuration automatically from the DHCP server. If you have DHCP it should pick up a IP.  If you don’t have DHCP it should go back to default setting.   Another thing you might want to do is check the cabling and try it in another port on the switch.

1 Message

December 10th, 2015 21:00

Hi Team,

I have this problem too..

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 03:00

Have excactly same problem, MD3420 Array with firmware 08.20.12.60. The supplied Management DVD starts autorun.exe which lets you install a management tool for every Powervault product, once installed it will only manage iSCSI versions of powervault. The full Powervault Modular Storage Manager is located in a subdir on the DVD for manual installation. And now it seems that management IP's can't be changed from the GUI. What a lovely product.

Luckily MD3420 comes with a RS/232 cable. Tera Term is able to send break command + , ip adress is easily configured pr. controller (needs to reboot). Default password is supportDell.

5 Posts

December 15th, 2015 10:00

Dell, please patch this! I have updated everything (RAID module firmware, PowerVault MD Manager, ...) and I can still not change management IP addresses via GUI (only with serial cable).

1 Message

February 11th, 2016 05:00

It works if you set the controller to service mode first and then change the management IP.

To set the controller to service mode:

Go to the hardware tab.

Right click on the controller.

Advanced->Place->In service mode...

March 15th, 2016 04:00

Is there any new improvments on this bug, I have the same exact issue but placing the controller into service mode doesn't help either !

3 Posts

March 30th, 2016 19:00

I have an MD3800i with firmware 08.20.12.60.  I can console into module 0 and log in, but I cannot log into module 1, though I can console into it.  Sending doesn't work!  This is very frustrating as it seems that this problem hasn't been addressed in over a year.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2016 19:00

I have the MD3800i, and I can console into the first controller and log in, but I cannot with the second one.   doesn't work for me.  It doesn't give me the prompt to enter the password.  Dell has also sent another controller to no avail.  This is very frustrating!

2 Posts

November 4th, 2016 13:00

Marko,

Thank you so much for posting this!, This issue was driving me crazy and Dell Support could not not even solve it. Resetting the IPv6 (which I had disabled out of habit) did the trick. You are the man!

Best Regards

No Events found!