This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 6th, 2011 00:00

Dell PowerVault LTO4-120 error code 6

hello!

My Dell PowerVault LTO4-120 stop working :( it shows yellow 6  indicator...

i cannot find error codes for this model and i dont know what to do to fix it... May be somebody know what does it mean...

thanks in advance!

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

September 6th, 2011 08:00

Hi Andrey,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a problem with your tape backup unit. According to the information I have, this indicates either a fault with the tape cartridge you are using or a fault with the tape backup unit itself. What we would advise is for you to try running a cleaning cycle with a known good cleaning cartridge and once this has finished, try a test backup with another tape cartridge.

If you still have the same issue after doing the above, it would appear that the LTO4-120 has developed a fault.

I hope that this has helped but please let us know how you get on.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2011 00:00

tape is inside and i don't know how to get it back...

for backup i using Backup Exec 2010 and BE says this device is offline...

as i understood device is dead and i should send this device for repair...?

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

September 7th, 2011 08:00

Hi Andrey,

I've sent you a friend request with my e-mail address as I'd like to discuss this through e-mail, if that is okay - it's just to make sure that we can keep your details private in case we need to organise a repair. If you could send me an e-mail, it would be very much appreciated.

899 Posts

September 8th, 2011 09:00

If a fix is found without a warranty repair can we get the answer posted back to the forums so others may benefit?

Bob

October 11th, 2011 11:00

Hi DELL-John C,

What is the resolution of this issue? We have the same issue with the same type of drive. We have attempted resets and the eject process without success with Dell support. The tape is stuck inside the drive and the LED indicator is showing a 6. Is there a manual way to remove the tape without damaging it?

Peter

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

October 13th, 2011 04:00

Hi Peter,

When I was looking into this issue previously, there appears to be no manual way to eject the cartridge. The recommended steps to follow are set out below:

Press and hold the eject button for 10 seconds, then release.

The fault LED turns on and the drive starts through its hardware test process.

When the hardware test completes, the ready/activity LED turns on.

If a cartridge is in the drive, the ready/activity LED flashes green until the cartridge is rewound.

The ready/activity LED turns on solid when the rewind is complete and the tape drive is ready.

NOTE: Allow at least 10 minutes for the rewind process to complete.

If this does not remove the cartridge, please call Technical Support for your region as they will have to look into replacing the drive assuming that the drive is in warranty.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 14th, 2011 14:00

We tried this and it does not helped :(

So we sent our device to service and they remove this tape...

October 14th, 2011 16:00

Hi All,

The manual eject process did not work for us either. We will be looking into our other options with Dell now. Thanks for the replies!

Peter

1 Message

August 24th, 2016 11:00

I had the save issue.  What I found out is if you down the server, take any power away (unplug the power cords) for a few minutes, the problem goes away!

No Events found!