Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2013 08:00

Dell PowerVault MD3600i - Unable to upgrade firmware - Data validation error:

Hi,

I have the following problem while trying to upgrade firmware version from 07.84.44.60 to 07.84.47.60 on my Dell PowerVault MD3600i.

Upgrade RAID Controller Module Firmware wizard reports the following error

• Data validation error: The storage array cannot be upgraded as one or more host entries in RAID Controller Module 0 did not match with those of RAID Controller Module 1. Contact a technical support representative to resolve this issue.

Can not find any similar problem on the net, so can anyone here help me please :emotion-42:

685 Posts

October 15th, 2013 10:00

There is a couple things that you can try. If you have multipathing  configured you can remove one of the controllers, wait 5 min and then reseat it and try and do the update. Or you can try clearing the Major Event Log and then updating the Firmware.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions or concerns.

685 Posts

November 11th, 2013 18:00

What I would recommend that you have MDSM installed and ensure that one of the hosts has the management section installed. When you install the management portion that also  install the MPIO onto the host. Once MPIO is install the access LUN will no longer be seen.

October 15th, 2013 13:00

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for fast response.

Yes, I do have multipathing enabled on Windows 2012 Servers Cluster with 4 Hyper V Nodes connected to the MD3600i Storage Array and also there are about 20 Virtual Machines running on that storage. I'll give you more details about problem.

One of the reason I want to upgrade firmware is that I can not Validate MS Cluster, because of Microsoft Validation error:

Failed while verifying removal of any Persistent Reservation on physical disk {b162e4f7-2bd4-4d13-8440-c5c04d645281} at node MY-HYPERV-001.xxx.local.

and then:

WARNING: Storage - List Potential Cluster Disks: The test reported failure..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Disk Access Latency: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Microsoft MPIO-based disks: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate SCSI device Vital Product Data (VPD): The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Storage Spaces Persistent Reservation: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Disk Arbitration: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Multiple Arbitration: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Disk Failover: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate File System: The test was canceled..
WARNING: Storage - Validate Simultaneous Failover: The test was canceled..

The problem physical disk is shown as disk 5  on 1 of clustered machines (same on other nodes):

On computer: MY-HYPERV-001
DISKPART> list disk
  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          300 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Reserved       1024 MB  1984 KB
  Disk 2    Reserved       2751 GB  1024 KB
  Disk 3    Reserved       2048 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 4    Reserved       6144 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 5    Offline          20 MB      0 B        *

It's shown as empty iscsi disk with 0 size from Windows disk manager and is associated with LUN31 (Defaulf Access Virtual Disk) located on Storage Array. So I hope upgrading the firmware of MD3600i will solve my problems with MS Cluster Validation and disk 5 will disappear form Hosts and won't be checked for validation from MS Cluster. In case you have came across on similar problems, I will appreciate your advice and steps to debug.

NOW Back on topic,

I've already deleted logs and tried to Upgrade, but without success (i post here after that try).

About your advice for removing one of the controllers, My questions are:

Do I have to stop MS Cluster Role for running VMs on the storage?

Is this the way to remove controller as you say: from MDSM - Hardware - Right Click on Controller Module (Enclosure 0 back) - Advanced - Place - Offline?

Thank you very much in advance.

October 16th, 2013 07:00

Hi Kenny,

I've done your suggestions and result is the same:

1 problem detected.  

Data validation error: The storage array cannot be upgraded as one or more host entries in RAID Controller Module 0 did not match with those of RAID Controller Module 1. Contact a technical support representative to resolve this issue.

685 Posts

October 16th, 2013 10:00

At this point can I have you pull a support bundle from inside MDSM so that we can see what is going on that could have caused the error during the upgrade process. I will send you a direct msg with my email address so you can send me the report once you get it.

October 17th, 2013 17:00

Hi Kenny,

I'm still waiting for your email.

685 Posts

October 31st, 2013 18:00

I sent you a couple of emails. Have you not gotten them?

November 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi Kenny,

Nah, I haven't gotten any of your emails and still i don't have an idea what to do and how to proceed. I'll appreciate if you send them again.

Regards,

Niki

November 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hello to both of you,

I've the same issue with my MD3200i. I've tried to upgrade my storage firmware from 07.84.44.60 to 07.84.47.60 and got the same error after the diagnostics. What do I have to do now?

Thanks

685 Posts

November 7th, 2013 15:00

I have sent emails to both of you guys on this issue. Please let me know if you have not gotten emails. I sent them to the email you have attached to this account.

November 11th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

Somehow I've manage to upgrade my MD3600i to the latest firmware Ver. 07.84.47.60 (removed one of the controllers, then the other, then 1st again and try lunch upgrade etc.), but I still cannot remove from MDSM console - the Default Access Virtual Disk (LUN 31) from Host Group Mapping (It stay presented in my MS Cluster Host Group) and I'm receiving an error message like this, even with all connected MS Cluster Nodes turned off:

"You cannot change or remove an Access virtual disk mapping. The Access virtual disk is required for hosts to access the storage array using in-band management connections."

Which tbh is very strange, because I have only out-band management connection set up.

When I power on Windows Hosts (Cluster Nodes), from disk management I see an Offline iSCSI disk 5 associated with LUN 31 presented on MD3600i. Cluster validation tried to list this ghost disk and fail.

I'll appreciate any ides.

1 Message

November 12th, 2013 03:00

It is helpful for me.

November 18th, 2013 11:00

thanks very much for advices, 2 problems (firmware update for RAID Controllers and mysterious ghost disk on Windows Nodes, referring LUN31)   was solved by your recommendations.

Cheers

2 Posts

January 24th, 2014 14:00

I went ahead and used the 'reset' function on one of the RAID controllers in MDSM since that seemed easier than physically removing it. After it came back I was able to upgrade the RAID controller firmware. On my second device the reset of one controller didn't do it and I had to reset the second controller as well before I could upgrade. Thanks for all your help, opening a ticket with Dell support ended up being a waste of time.

23 Posts

April 28th, 2015 07:00

Hi DELL team,

I have the same issue.. but removing and reseting COntrollers don't help in my case..

any suggestions?

My issue: NVSRAM is different on both controllers. Do you know how can I update NSRAM only one controlelr to match another?

RAID Controller Modules                                       
   Current Package Version:    07.84.53.60                    
   Current NVSRAM Version:     N26X0-784890-904               
   Board ID:                   2660                           
   Sub-Model ID:               157                            

Current Package Version:    07.84.53.60                    
   Current NVSRAM Version:     N26X0-780890-901               
   Board ID:                   2660                           
   Sub-Model ID:               157                

Thanks

No Events found!