Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2014 15:00

Drive not recognized in Advanced Create Virtual Disk wizard in OpenManage

I'm replacing a drive (OEM from Dell) in an MD1200 with PERC H800 adapter for an Exchange 2010 DAG via OpenManage.  The drive is ready and spun up.  If I use the VD Express Wizard, the drive is presented.  However we want to set the Stripe and Write Policy. When using the VD Advanced Wizard, the drive is NOT presented.  If I Reconfigure an existing VD, the drive is also presented.  I thought about running the Express Wizard and then reconfiguring it.  However Reconfigure seems to only wants to allow the adding of additional disks and doesn't allow us to reconfigure the Stripe or Write Policy.

We changed out this replacement with a different drive from the pool and have the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Brian

• 

7.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 08:00

Hello Brian,

To set the Stripe & write policy you need to do that when you are creating the virtual disk.  What you will need to do is to backup your virtual disk & then delete the VD & recreate it with the correct stripe size that you would like.  Now depending on which raid you are running you may need to add a second drive & that should allow you change the stripe, but the risk with that is that if you have a drive that fails before the restriping finishes then in most cases the VD is lost & have to restore from backup.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

6 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 09:00

The virtual drive is being created as a single disk in RAID 0.  Replication of the data is handled via the Exchange DAG.  What we're attempting to do is replace a failed drive.  We want to set the Stripe as 256 and the Write Policy to Write Through.  Neither are available through the Express Wizard.  It appears that Reconfiguration does not allow that either.  The drive IS recognized through both of these "wizards".  It is not being presented/recognized via the Advanced Wizard for creating a virtual drive.  We swapped out this new OEM drive with another new OEM drive and are experiencing the same issue.

6 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 15:00

Via the command line:

omconfig storage controller action=createvdisk controller=1 raid=r0 size=max pdisk=0:0:0 stripesize=256KB readpolicy=ara writepolicy=wb diskcachepolicy=disabled Name=VirtualDisk0

This command line string worked to create the VD with the correct parameters.

6 Posts

September 5th, 2014 14:00

Interesting that over the years we've never seen this issue previously.  That's with a lot of drives replaced which is an issue in and of itself.  Yesterday we saw the same issue with a different server.  Both 1T drives were manufactured in March 2014 and revision DG02.  Both failed to be recognized in slot 0 (0:0:0) of a PERC H800.  At least I now know how to fix it.

• 

7.1K Posts

September 8th, 2014 13:00

Hello Brian,

I will send that info over about those drives to see if we can replicate the issue & see why it didn’t allow you to make the change in the GUI but allowed you to do it through CLI.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2015 15:00

Here we are, several months later with the same problem.  A revision DG02 drive is being replaced in slot 0:1:0 in place of a drive that is predicted to fail.  The Advanced Virtual Disk Wizard does not recognize the drive, but the basic wizard does.  The problem we have is that the basic wizard doesn't allow the stripe size and write policy to be correctly set.  What we're doing is a simple RAID-0 Virtual Disk for an Exchange 2010 DAG.

So, I ran the OMCONFIG step above to attempt to resolve this.  This time we got the following message: "Create virtual disk failed".  I'm not seeing any logs that get created out of this process.

Any thoughts?

Brian

6 Posts

January 16th, 2015 16:00

I learned something new today.  The PERC had Preserved Cache from the failed Virtual Disk.  Since we've replaced lots of disks previously and had never seen this error, I can only assume that cache gets cleaned up in some manner.  In any case, clearing the Preserved Cache on the PERC allowed the OMCONFIG command to work as expected.  This did not resolve the Advanced Wizard issue, but I'm comfortable with the CLI.

BC

No Events found!