Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2017 06:00

Firmware upgrade MD3060e

Hello community,

I'm new to Dell so excuse my ignorance.

We recently acquired a refurbished Dell PowerVault MD3060e connected to a R710 via a Perc8 SAS controller. The server is setup as VEEAM B&R.

We are experiencing some issues with the server, in that it crashes about once a week. Every 5 to 6 days approximately. It used to crash every friday evening when our synthetic full backup starts. This is currently not the case anymore since i set it to use active full backups. So two weeks ago the server kept running and i was very happy.

2 days ago the server crashed again, "Error 0 on ID 0" is what the logging shows. I tried to research it, but wasn't able to find a solution yet.

In my search to resolve the issue, i'm trying to update/upgrade all the components. I'm currently trying to upgrade the firmware of the MD3060e. While Windows Server see's enclosure, i'm unable to find an adapter or emm when i use the Storage Enclosure Management Software. When i perform secli list adapters i see none.

Am i missing something? What do i need to do to be able to query the device? As far as i can tell there is no cabling needed?

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated

Peter

• 

7.1K Posts

September 18th, 2017 11:00

Hello Peter,

With an MD3060e all you need to update is the PERC card that it is connected to as well as the HDD firmware. All commands to update your MD3060e will be done via PERC Bios or Openmanage.

As for your host rebooting are you getting any errors listed for your PERC card or LSI errors like event ID 7,11, or 129 errors?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

Since my first post the server kept running - so i will investigate the issue if/once it reappears.

There was a battery error that kept writing to the system log every few seconds, so i couldn't see the errors anymore (log full). That has been resolved now, so i will verify if the server crashes again which ID's it lists.

Peter

3 Posts

October 20th, 2017 03:00

Hello,

We managed to fully update the firmware, thanx for the assistance.

The rebooting issue however is not solved. This server has a SAS PERC H800 card with two MD3060e units attached - but few weeks back we only had one MD3060e and experienced the same problem. The storage seems to be working fine. This server is used as VEEAM Backup server. Every day when our incrementals run the server is sure to reboot. Sometimes during the day (when no backups or load is on the server) the server will reboot as well.

The only notice in the server logging i can find is the below. The CPU error is not always present though - but the fatal error always appears before the sudden reboot. Sometimes it's CPU1 sometimes CPU2. The storage failure has been fixed by replacing the battery with a new one.

We have literally changed everything in the server (MoBo, RAM, CPU, network cards, SSD's). We changed the Perc H800 with another card (same type).

We even had a senior storage consultant have a look at it, but he has no clue either. Can the MD3060e cause the server to reboot? Can there simply be too much IO for the system? Our daily incrementals are approximately 2TB, and do finish because of the retry function in VEEAM. So after a reboot the server will work for a while - long enough to retry the aborted backup at least.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide!

• 

7.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 10:00

Hello PeterWho,

The MD3060e shouldn’t cause the server to reboot. Your MD3060e can handle the 2TB of backup data that you are sending to it daily without any issue. When the server reboots is it happening at the same time every time or is it at different times? To me it seems like with replacing hardware & issue still happens I would say that this could be a configuration, OS, or some software that might be causing the issue

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!