Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2011 05:00

MD3000 Flashing Amber on Enclosure Status LED.

hi guys,

I need help, this my first time to handle storage server. Now this server encountering problem the Enclosure Status LED indicator is blinking with an orange light. can anyone help me figure what should the problem and how can i solve it? Please help me i really need to fix it.

thanks.

9.3K Posts

October 11th, 2011 08:00

What does the management software report for the fault? It could be as simple as a disk on the non-preferred path, but could also be something more critical like a controller failure. The management software (Modular Disk Storage Manager) is what can tell you.

8 Posts

October 11th, 2011 19:00

how about this? could be the battery problem?

8 Posts

October 11th, 2011 20:00

please check also these event logs, do you think its the battery? or the enclosure? please help me sir. i can't contact our local support.

9.3K Posts

October 11th, 2011 20:00

It looks like a possible battery issue. You'll need to contact your Dell Powervault support group to verify and if needed get it replaced (assuming you're under warranty).

8 Posts

October 11th, 2011 21:00

OK sir, i have also check this and i hope its the battery. One more question sir, is it critical and can this affect the system and the data on the disks?

9.3K Posts

October 12th, 2011 07:00

It shouldn't affect your data, but may affect performance as I think the array will disable write cache to prevent possible loss of data in case of a power outage.

847 Posts

October 12th, 2011 08:00

A 3000i runs painfully slow when a battery needs to be replaced.   Once replaced it still runs painfully slow for quite some time because the first thing it does is a battery learn cycle which also shuts off the cache.

8 Posts

October 12th, 2011 18:00

I have already contacted our support, and they also said that it is the battery and also said that it will affect the performance. And we really need to purchase a replacement.

thank you sirs for your help, i really appreciate it.:emotion-1:

8 Posts

October 12th, 2011 18:00

One more thing sir, how long will it perform slow after replacing the batteries? will it also affect the server as well?

8 Posts

October 13th, 2011 05:00

sir, what does this logs means? (inside the red box)

9.3K Posts

October 13th, 2011 08:00

It means that you should open a case with PowerVault support as there may be some problems with your hardware.

847 Posts

October 13th, 2011 08:00

You opened a support case?     So you sent them a support bundle right?     Any of your attached hosts / servers having issues?

The tech should of seen these in the bundle.     Often times these can indicate AC supply side power issues.

279 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 20:00

When we had this issue, I called Dell. They had me reset the battery age and the error disappeared. They also said that upgrading the MD3000 firmware to the latest 2nd generation firmware (7.x) could alleviate these issues because it includes a battery conditioning feature that runs every 14 weeks. I upgraded our MD3000 to the 2nd generation firmware this afternoon and so far so good.

I'm not saying that this is a false positive, but be prepared for Dell to suggest a firmware upgrade if you're not on 2G.

8 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 20:00

If i Upgrade my firmware would this affect my data on the disks? because we have critical data on this disks. After upgrading the firmware of MD3000 did you encounter any problems?

847 Posts

October 24th, 2011 08:00

The cross generational upgrade is scary in regard to possible loss,  but I upgraded 6 of these things and had no issues at all.   If your on gen2 the risk would be very low indeed on upgrading.

The real bite of it all is?   You have to shut down your VM's and/or Windows Hosts.   I find it almost impossible to schedule these updates anymore.

No Events found!