Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 18th, 2013 02:00

MD3000i - MDSM CLI error 12

I'm trying to run a CLI command that I've run before- just a couple weeks ago on this same SAN and diskGroup.  The command and messages returned are below.

DOS prompt - C:\Program Files\Dell\MD Storage Manager\Client

SMcli IP-1 IP-2 -p password -c "start diskGroup [DiskGroupName] defragment;"

Syntax check complete.

Executing script....

An internal error, error code 12, has occured. This is possibly due to initialization problems when loading necessary internal files. Please check your installation of SMclient. If problems continue to persist, re-install SMclient.

SMcli failed.

Two days ago I updated RAID Controller and HDD firmware.  NVSRAM was already up to the latest.  The MDSM Version is 2.2.0.18-R294936.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the MDSM software. 

One important thing to note is that the MD3000i is NOT Optimal.  A failed drive for which I'm waiting for a replacement.  Is this perhaps why I can't run the SMcli command for defrag?  I'm not attempting to defrag the diskGroup containing the failed drive.

Thanks,

SK

685 Posts

June 18th, 2013 10:00

Most of the time when this error occurs it is due to a corrupt copy of MDSM. I see that you have done a uninstall and reinstall however I know that when you uninstall MDSM it actually leave a number of files on the system. So, I would like to have you do the uninstall again and then go to program files (x86) \Dell folder and delete the MD Storage folder from there.

Once you do that go ahead and do a fresh install of the software and see if you still get that error message. I look forward to hearing back from you.

11 Posts

June 19th, 2013 06:00

Kenny - Uninstalled and removed everything from the Dell folder. Reinstalled MDSM.  Same result - error 12.

685 Posts

June 19th, 2013 09:00

Ok can I have you go ahead and pull a support bundle? I will email you my direct email address so when it is done you can send it directly to me.

No Events found!