Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

37 Posts

March 20th, 2019 17:00

ME4 disk firmware update

Hi all,

It seems from the documentation that the ME4 doesn't support online disk firmware updates. Can someone confirm this? It seems extraordinary that this is not possible online. I realise under the hood the ME4 is a Dot Hill system with custom firmware, but surely there is a way to allow one disk updated at a time assuming all pools are using appropriate RAID levels?

How does one handle a scenario where a failed drive is replaced and has an older firmware? It seems pointless then having dual controllers particularly if you are faced with a disk firmware bug that is critical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

• 

7.1K Posts

March 21st, 2019 10:00

Hello Ben,

When you need to update the firmware on your HDD you will need to stop all I/O so that the drives can be updated.  You can update the controllers one at a time while the system is online but not the HDD’s.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

April 24th, 2019 14:00

Sam, I'm curious about the Firmware update process. Does it pause all I/O for the entire array or just for the drives that are being updated, as they are updated? The reason being that in theory we could use a 'spare' drive slot to update one drive at a time, if it were necessary, as that drive would not be in use. Thanks!

• 

7.1K Posts

April 25th, 2019 08:00

Hello jack.dobiash,

If your drives are new & unassigned, then you can upgrade the firmware to them one at a time.  If the drives are already in a pool & have data on them then you will need to stop all I/O to upgrade the firmware on the drives. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

January 17th, 2022 09:00

How do you stop I/O on the ME4? I've searched Google and the documentation and I haven't found any clear instruction.

• 

8.8K Posts

January 17th, 2022 10:00

AsLittleAsMe,

The steps outline on page 44 here would stop the I/O.

Let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2022 19:00

Hi Sam,

I have to plan upgrade disk drive firmware on MD34XX system is it a disruptive or non-disruptive operation. All disk are assigned, is there a process to upgrade one disk at a time to upgrade all.

Best Regards

• 

3.4K Posts

February 10th, 2022 23:00

Hi @KIT-SE,

I would say it is a disruptive update. You can refer to this article: https://dell.to/3gGh8ZA;

4 Posts

April 4th, 2022 00:00

Hi Joey,

Another quick question, the storage has disks running older version of firmware. Can we update the controller firmware first as a first step and later upgrade the disk firmware. 

Best regards,

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 4th, 2022 07:00

Hello @KIT-SE,

Yes, the update order should not be an issue in this case.

Regards.

No Events found!