Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2010 07:00

PE2850/PV220s and Server 2008, driver issue.

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post, I hope I can find some help here as I’m a little lost as to what I should do next.

My setup is follows

I have an Dell PE 2850 which I would like to connect to a Dell PV 220s. I have connected it via SCSI and configured the array as RAID 5.

The card controlling the disks in the 2850 (internal) is a Perc 4e/di

The cards (it is a redundant setup) controlling the 220s are Perc 4/DC

I have installed Server 2008 R2 onto the 2850. After some research I discovered that Dell did not create any drivers for the 4/DC in 2k8. However it seems that the package built for 2k3 works just as well. I have installed this and the Raid controller object seems correct in Device Manager.

I still have some PCI objects and some SCSI controller objects showing in Device Manager that show as not having drivers and the external disks do not show under Disk Management.

I have tried pretty much every driver and update I could find for both the 2850 and the 220s on the Dell support site, yet I am unable to find drivers for these remaining devices.

Can anyone help point me in the correct direction? Or is there something else i might have done wrong along the way?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

October 5th, 2010 05:00

Before the disk are visible to the server, you have to assign the disk to raid then create your virtual disk and initialise it. This can be done in the raid bios during post - press CTRL-M and you need to select the correct raid card to attach to you can then use the menus to create your setup or you can install server administrator the use the storage management tab and create your raid from there.

3 Posts

October 5th, 2010 06:00

Hi,

The disks have been assigned and the raid volume initialized. The 'logical disk' is detected during boot up.

I will install server administrator and see if that gives any additional insight.

3 Posts

October 13th, 2010 07:00

A little progress but not much.

It seems that the missing drivers were for an unreleated Adaptec SCSI card that is also installed on the system.

What i have found from the Server Administrator application is that under 'Storage' only the Perc 4e/di card shows and not the Perc 4/DC. Even though this card shows in the device manager.

I am stumped as to why this isn't working, can anyone offer any help??

No Events found!