Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2015 17:00

PowerVault MD3220i Error (Insufficient Cache Backup Device Capacity)

Hello All,

I appreciate your time and assistance with the following question.

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware on my PV MD3220i and installed the corresponding NVRAM update.

After installing the update, I am getting the following error in the MDSM.  I checked the cache backup capacity and the total used are both reporting 1680MB.

Is there a reason that the error is occurring and what is the best approach to fixing this issue?

I checked the forums but didn't see anything specific besides replacing the module or upgrading the actual cache memory.  Otherwise, the unit is working without issue but just like most of you, I hate that blinking amber light in a perfectly blue data-center :)

Thanks!
Omar

Insufficient Cache Backup Device Capacity    

January 5th, 2016 07:00

Hello, Omar.

This error took some research. In every case that this error is seen by our phone techs, the RAID controller is replaced.

After talking to some senior engineers, I'd recommend replacing that controller.

This error can occur from either, improperly shutting down the array leading to a corruption of the backup meta-database, or the cache stick (a little SD card) could come unseated.

You *could* try removing the controller, wait for the 'flee power' to drain, reseat that cache card, and then put it back in the slot. That may clear that error, but no promises. However, we don't replace the cache cards in these. The only thing we do replace inside the controller is the battery.

I hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have any questions.

January 6th, 2016 08:00

Thank you.  I followed the steps to restart the array and the error cleared out.  This was after updating to the latest firmware.  We will monitor the situation on our end.  Thanks for your support.

January 7th, 2016 08:00

Outstanding. I'm glad we got you taken care of. Let us know if you have any questions.

No Events found!