Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2012 13:00

Removing Physical Disk w/PERC H800

I've created a VD from 8 drives in a new system build.  I wanted to test hot adding another VD with the system running.  I added an additional two drives, created a test VD from them and the test VD was presented to the OS without issue.  Everything worked as I was hoping for the creation of a new VD. 

The problem I'm having is I've removed the test VD and would like to remove the physical disks.  How do I tell the controller to mark the disks for removal?  Can I simply remove the drives with everything running?  Using OMSA I noticed there was an option to clear the physical disks.  I started that operation, however it's been about an hour and it is still sitting at 0% complete.  The disks are 80G SSD's.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

685 Posts

October 24th, 2012 14:00

When the drives are in a clear state, they are doing a slow initialize. That is pretty much a low level format, which can take some time to complete. Once that is done it should go into a Ready state and from there you can remove the drives as they will be erased as if they were brand new.

685 Posts

Vpsa,

When you look in Open Manage what state are the hard drives currently in? Do you still see the test VD in the Virtual Disk section? If so, then you can delete the VD and if the HDDs are still in an Online status then you will want to put the drives in an Offline state. If you look in Open  Manage and the drives are listed in a Foreign state then are both drives foreign or just one? I look forward to hearing back from you on this issue.

21 Posts

The drives are currently in Clear state, because I started a clear operation.  Prior to the clear state the test VD was removed, it was not listed under Storage->PERC H800->Virtual Disks, the physical disks were in Ready state.  I believe if I cancel the Clear operation the drives will go back into Ready state.  After removing the test VD the drives were not in Foreign state.

685 Posts

No problem at all if you need anything else going forward I would be happy to assist.

21 Posts

Once the drives were back in Ready state they were successfully removed and the removal was reflected in OMSA.  Issue was I didn't realize they could be pulled when they were in a ready state, I thought they had to be marked for removal first, ignorance on my behalf.

Thanks for your help!

No Events found!