Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2010 06:00

Replicating to a secondary MD3000 NAS system

Hi,

A colleague who has since left the company bought in s solution comprising of 2 of  MD3000 storage arrays with 2 2950 servers.

The idea was to place each system in a different data centre and replicate the data from one storage system to the other and in the event

of a failure, we could seamlessly migrate from one system to the other. 

This system has never been configured and there has been chat over different implementation methods including using MS AD to replicate data! :emotion-7:

I am a Linux tech but have been doing some reading and it looks to me like these systems were not designed to be used in such a way.

Can anyone confirm or offer advice or a direction on how these two systems can be configured with replication and failure.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 5th, 2010 07:00

MS AD as such doesn't replicate data. DFS can do data replication the way I understand it though.

There are also several 3rd party applications that can replicate between servers (over the LAN and storage independent). EMC's replistor is one of them from what I understand, but you can probably find more options with Google or so.

January 7th, 2010 05:00

Thanks for your reply.

So is fair to say that the MD3000 is not designed to allow replication and failover to another MD3000?

I imagine this can be done but with adding additional software/hardware - possibly neverfail.

The problems I see with DFS is that the replication would be done over the LAN at a file level, while we would want the

data to be replicated at the block level over a private LAN for a file server.

Tam

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 7th, 2010 09:00

I've seen solutions that are more or less switches that mirror data between 2 SANs and the servers then connect to these switches and treat the switches as the storage solution. This makes the array-based mirroring invisible to the hosts. However, I've only seen this for iSCSI and Fiber Channel, but not (yet) for SAS (the MD3000 is SAS on the front end).

No Events found!