Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 23rd, 2017 01:00

md3800i - serial connection

Hello,

Can anyone inform me as to what type of interface the md3800i uses for the serial connection? i mean, it uses mini-USB instead of the special pined wiring of the older models.

Ie: Would an FTDI Virtual USB serial connection work, or is it another proprietary type of cable?

I (as mentioned in a previous post) acquired a second hand md3800i, that hadn't been used in 2 years, and no-one knows the management information.

Thanks.

• 

7.1K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 10:00

Hello twlomega,

Here is the Dell Part# GYK61 for the serial cable that is needed for an MD3800i. The cable is different than other previous models of MD3xxx. You can purchase the cable either from dell or a reseller as well.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

6 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 17:00

Hello,

When I search that part it's a Mini SAS cable? That is for the SAS connection, not the serial connection for debugging ?

I'm talking about the equivelent of the CT109 in the md3200 the "password reset cable".

in the md3800i, there is a miniUSB port for the serial connection.

[edit]

I'm referring to this.

[/edit]

6 Posts

September 30th, 2018 23:00

Okay so it's been a year, and I still haven't received the correct answer.

Can you please tell me what the Part # is for the Serial USB cable for the md3800i?!

NOT the SAS cable like in your first reply!

[edit] Sorry for the duplicate post, the submit errored and I didn't realize it posted.[/edit]

6 Posts

September 30th, 2018 23:00

Okay evermind, there are new google results now that show it is VPNP6

14 Posts

August 23rd, 2023 15:16

@twlomega​ There are two possibilities. One - It's USB and you can connect it to an USB port of your laptop. Two - It's serial and you need the correct cable.

If it's serial, then the pinout can be found out with a multimeter. GND - easy, zero ohm to chassis, TXD - the pin that has 7-12V DC on it. RXD - trial and error.

If it's USB, you'll need a driver for the controllers internal USB-serial converter, most often an FTDI chip.

Oh hacking serial ports... I have done it so many times. :-)

Let's go and find out!

14 Posts

August 25th, 2023 06:56

For all those who are still interested in this issue... here is how to make such a serial cable yourself:

- Grab an old mini-USB cable and cut the other plug off

- Strip the cable and separate the four colored wires

- Get a female DB9 connector and a soldering iron

- connect black (GND) to pin 5 (GND)

- connect white (DATA-) to pin 2 (TXD)

- connect green (DATA+) to pin 3 (RXD)

- cut the red wire off (optional)

- use it...

Please be aware that some USB cables may have different wire colors and there are also cables with completely mixed up wires. You can check ground easily with an multimeter. Black wire should go directly to the metal chassis. White wire should read -5 to -6 VDC. Green wire has no voltage since it is an input (RXData)

(edited)

No Events found!