Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

6 Posts

December 11th, 2018 00:00

390 Will Not Start: Shuts off immediately, no beep codes

This is a duplicate of https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Precision-390-will-not-start/m-p/4542508 which went unanswered.

When I press the power button the power supply fan starts spinning, as do the two internal fans.  All of the 1-2-3-4 LEDs on front panel light up for a moment but then I hear a click and it just goes off again.  This all happens within 1/2 of a second.  What I thought might be the click of a relay, is actually a click coming out of speaker "SPKR" on the motherboard.  Seems like it is trying to make a beep code-- but gets cut short.  The AUX_PWR_LED on the mainboard is lit as soon as the power cord is providing power to the power supply, and remains lit. 

I tried all of the tips and tricks for troubleshooting power problems.  I tried replacing the power supply with another WM283, but this did not make a difference.

Someone must have seen this before...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 11th, 2018 08:00

Read only on a forum means the forum is closed and no one can post or answer. 

Sounds like a major failure. Since you cannot access the boot menu to try a boot disk, might mean it's time to buy a new computer and replace the 10 year old model 390.

December 12th, 2018 23:00

You know, that 11 year old 390 running Windows XP had a faster boot and response time then my new Precision 5530 running Windows 10!  And I had it all set up with several software development tools that are a pain to set up.  I'd like to get this system running again,  if only to create a virtual machine of the setup.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

December 27th, 2018 19:00

Mary G is right about it being a major failure.  Probably the motherboard since changing power supplies didn't solve it.  If the problem were anything less, a set of diagnostic lights would stay on.

No Events found!