Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

4 Posts

September 14th, 2021 10:00

Black Screen after updating drivers using Dell Support Assist

Hi,

I have a Dell Precision T7910 and I recently installed a new SSD with Windows 10. I went through all the Windows updates - no problems. I then downloaded Dell Support Assist which advised of new updates. Once the drivers updated and rebooted the PC, I got a black screen. I cannot see anything, I can't even get into BIOS settings. I'm completely stuck! I suspect that my Nvidia graphics card did not like whichever driver got installed.

Any ideas? 

Thanks,

R

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 14th, 2021 10:00

Sounds like a corrupted BIOS update.  We have seen others with Support Assist BIOS corruptions.  Best to manually do any needed BIOS updates.

Here is the link to the Dell recovery procedures

How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer or Tablet | Dell US

4 Posts

September 14th, 2021 11:00

Thanks for your reply.

I tried those instructions but I had no success. I even created a bootable USB using the Dell Diagnostic Distribution Package (DDDP) and copied the BIOS file onto it. I just don't see anything on my monitor display. 

Regards,

R

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 14th, 2021 13:00

As a last thing to try, reset the CMOS memory.   Power Off PC, disconnect AC power cord then press the power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power.  Open the case and locate the 2032 coin cell battery. Remove the battery for at least 5 minutes.  Reinstall battery, reconnect AC power cable and try powering on.

Here is the Dell position on a failed BIOS update.

Dell Policy, BIOS breaks motherboard CMOS

In warranty customers

If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, Dell will replace the motherboard.
Stipulations =
* The service itself could be either onsite service or Return to Dell Depot, depending on which warranty you purchased

If you updated the BIOS without any direction from a Dell Support representative, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement.
Stipulations =
* The service itself could be either onsite service or Return to Dell Depot, depending on which warranty you purchased
* We will then ask you to not install any BIOS update unless you contact us first and have us guide you

Out of warranty customers

If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, you are eligible for a one time only out of warranty motherboard replacement.
Stipulations =
* This is a one time only offering
* This is a parts only service. Dell will not send on onsite technician
* Dell will only have motherboards available for 5 years from the original system RTS (Ready To Ship) date. If you are past this 5 year period, you will need to purchase the motherboard from a 3rd party seller

If you updated the BIOS without any direction from Dell Support representative, and the BIOS update broke the motherboard CMOS, you have to buy the replacement motherboard either from Dell or a 3rd party seller.

17 Posts

September 14th, 2021 22:00

Hello, have you checked the monitor cable? If you have a spare one try it out or change the port if you have more than one (DP, HDMI etc). Good luck! 

4 Posts

September 15th, 2021 06:00

Thanks Fireberd for your suggestions. I had no luck with that either.

I'm going to get another display adapter to test to make sure it's not the graphics card that has failed. The PC sounds like it has booted up, I'm just getting back screen.

Regards,

R

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

September 15th, 2021 08:00

Can you try to see if the monitor onscreen menu can show "if" there's a current video mode / if it says that there's no feed / if it says it's out of range ?

Which gpu model is ? Have you tried to plug to one of the other video outs ?

4 Posts

September 17th, 2021 09:00

Thanks Mazzina,

I've tried HDMI, VGA and Display port on my monitor. I move the Nvidia Quadro card into another PC and it worked fine. So the update from Support Assist wrecked my BIOS. I've tried a number of procedures as recommended above, but joy. 

R

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

September 17th, 2021 09:00

I wonder... this precision can install an optional iDrac8 card ( there should be a connector on the botherboard for the extra cable ). So I wonder if a remote management card would be able to then reflash the mb  (or maybe no, I may be seeing the rack version )

No Events found!