Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BH

4 Posts

December 19th, 2021 14:00

Disabling Raid 1 on a Dell Precision 3620 Tower running Windows 10 Professional

I would like to break my RAID 1 (mirroring) to have two non-RAID hard drives. I have read a number of posts here within this Community, but none deal with specifically with a computer running WIN 10 Pro.  I am nervous about making any RAID changes that could result in the loss of data on either of the drives. I would appreciate a simple set of instructions on how to disable the RAID 1 set-up.  Many thanks in advance.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 20th, 2021 08:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

December 21st, 2021 09:00

I would use Macrium Reflect to create a volume Image. Then use Diskpart to clean both of your drives/SSD. then Restore your Image to the HD/SSD that you want to be the OS System Drive. I have accomplished this before on my Asus systems. The way MR works you would restore the same to a single drive. and you would then do whatever you want with the 2nd HD/SSD. If you wanted to go back to RAID one you would recreate the RAID 1. I use the paid for version of MR, the free edition would work for this operation.

This is based on your SATA System staying in RAID mode which is the Dell Default setting.

This link is to a very high end Windows 10 forum and a tutorial using MR Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Here also is a Dell Thread on the subject, it is a basic system operation so which version of windows your using won't matter. Break RAID 1 - Dell Community

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

December 26th, 2021 20:00

Paragon disk tools (Paragon Hard Disk Manager, etc.) allow for direct copying, moving and resizing volumes(almost any type known in the world) online, and offline. There are also drivers for Linux and MAC-OS partitions for Windows. These tools are known from mid 90s, and immediately received a hard-rock reputation. It is just a bit more expensive than the said Macrium, but it worth investment. https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-windows/

4 Posts

December 27th, 2021 07:00

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.  I read the Dell Thread that you suggested "Break RAID 1 - Dell Community" that you suggested.  It indicates that: "You can also DELETE the RAID 1 volume from the Intel ROM Utility (CTRL-I). I've done this many times without issue. You'll get a warning that your data will be lost. Ignore it as you will NOT lose any data and you'll have two drive with identical data. Either way (delete or reset to non-RAID) will break the RAID 1 volume."  This procedure suggested seems straightforward but I am nervous about the "data will be lost" warning comment, even though the post indicates that it will not.  (It seems like from other on-line posts that breaking other RAID formats can indeed wipe out data and that is why this a message in the Intel Storage Manager is displayed, but apparently not relevant to RAID 1. Do you have another comment or feedback on this approach?  Many thanks in advance for your help.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

December 27th, 2021 13:00

I would not do anything without a full Volume Image backup. I recommend MR as it does volume backup and restores without issues and the free version can be used for full drive/SSD/Volumes forever. Regardless I would create that Drive/SSD= Volume full image, Regardless of what backup software you choose. Make that back up first. "Don't forget to create the MR Recovery USB Thumb Drive" 

The Windows 10 forum threat that I linked is very helpful on using MR easier to sort out using than MR KB

There is no reason to change your BIOS from RAID and that would cause other issues for you. Just breaking the Raid 1 is all that is necessary, Not sure what set up your RAID 1 whether that is in the BIOS or separate software. break the raid 1 from there and clean your 2nd Disk/SS with Diskpart the formating you should have a booting system on 1 HD/SSD with OS and whatever data you have in that Volume. if for some reason that doesn't work all you have to do is Restore your Back up Volume Image to the HR/SSD of your choice

No Events found!