Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

January 30th, 2023 08:00

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE after I installed 2nd NVME drive

I have a Windows 10 Enterprise Precision 3640 Tower into which I installed a 4TB Crucial P3 Plus PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD in the workstation's second m.2 slot as a non-boot drive.

While the BIOS recognizes the drive, when I try to boot (not from this drive), I get a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and get into a boot loop. If I remove the drive, everything works fine.

I stuck the drive in another PC and loaded win11 on it as a test which seemed to work fine.

449-BBNJ : C1: M.2 SSD Boot + Optional M. 2 SSD

338-BVOH : Intel Core i9-10900 (10 Core, 20M cache, base 2.8GHz, up to 5.2GHz) DDR4-2933

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

March 8th, 2023 11:00

Final Update:

I bought a PCIe to m.2 riser which was very inexpensive, put the m.2 4TB drive in it, and everything worked great.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

February 1st, 2023 06:00

I thought I'd post an update. Dell's suggestion was "I would suggest you to use the drive shipped with the system." and "capacity up to 2 TB". Neither of which was useful.
The real problem is that while this motherboard's W480 chipset supports 24 PCIe lanes, the i9-10900 only supports 16, so that 2nd m.2 slot is un-usable unless you get an 11th gen processor.
My plan is to get a PCIe to m.2 riser which should work since I don't use a video card.

March 8th, 2023 11:00

Some Dell's have an issue that when you use SSDs larger than 2TB a regular Windows install or even a Microsoft provided USB drive will fail when the system is set in the BIOS to RAID mode.

Neither Microsoft nor Dell are willing to investigate further currently and just say "well, 2TB is what is supported".

In my case I found a drive (Dell provided recovery USB) that can boot, while other USB drives are crashing with the same error. So there is evidence that in theory it can work.

So, while your PCI-lane situation may be correct, it could also be this other problem I mentioned.

To test it without "risk".
a) get a Windows install boot drive and see if it boots or if it throws the same error.

b) if it throws the same error, check if BIOS has RAID or AHCI, if it has RAID, temporarily try AHCI and boot from the USB (so that you do not mess with your existing Windows install yet).

1 Message

March 29th, 2023 09:00

Hi, could you please post the exact type, product code or picture of the riser you used? I need one because of an identical issue and I cannot determine what exactly the type/model is. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

March 29th, 2023 09:00

November 4th, 2023 03:51

Had the same issue recently with a Dell XPS 15 9500. It came with a 1TB SSD and the 2nd slot was empty, so I installed a 4TB Toshiba Koxia SSD in there and the moment I did that I kept getting this KERNELY_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE boot loop. What I did was, remove that 2nd SSD temporarily so I could boot into Windows at least, then I updated to a new IRST Driver which was available on the Dell Support site under my laptop's service tag, installed that, then when I added the 2nd SSD it worked!

1 Message

August 10th, 2024 03:48

@Super Spartan​ 

Thank you so much! Even though I’m not an Dell user, when I installed second ssd, 4TB Crucial P3 Plus PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, in my acer nitro 6, it cycling the booting, and after I try your way to update the IRST driver(not from dell site but Intel’s site) it work!

No Events found!