Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

October 13th, 2018 18:00

Precision 3620 add old SATA2 drive

Hello,

I just purchased a used Precision 3620 workstation with 500 GB SATA3 hard drive. The OS is Windows 7 64bit Pro.

Everything seems to work well and now I need to move my old files and programs from old Seagate Barracuda ST3250310AS hard drive.  I have heard that it's possible to connect an old hard drive to motherboard and "move" or "clone" programs and files to a new hard drive without copy-paste or program reinstallation. However, I don't know how to do it.

It is my understanding that the T3620 MoBo has 4 SATA3 connectors and I can just plug in one of them the old Seagate drive which I believe is SATA2, 3 gb/sec- and it will be recognized. Is this true? If yes, should I do any software mods such as change BIOS  settings?  If not, what should be done to get it recognized? 

If an old drive will be connected to T3620, the workstation should boot from the 500 GB new drive and the Win 7 that's installed on the Seagate should not interfere with anything, right? 

Finally, what software I need to use to "move" programs and files between hard drives? I am not going to keep the old drive connected after file transfer so the software should be able to do registry changes telling Windows that programs are now on a new drive. Found an Application Mover form funduc.com; will it work or there are other, better programs?

Thanks a lot for your help. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 14th, 2018 13:00

@DC_dent wrote:

I need to move my old files and programs from old Seagate Barracuda ST3250310AS hard drive. 

Is this is just a "bare drive" from your old Windows computer?

It's not in a working computer or in an external USB Enclosure?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 14th, 2018 13:00

@DC_dent wrote:

Finally, what software I need to use to "move" programs and files between hard drives? I am not going to keep the old drive connected after file transfer so the software should be able to do registry changes telling Windows that programs are now on a new drive. Found an Application Mover form funduc.com; will it work or there are other, better programs?

No.

You install the programs onto the new computer with the original discs and use your legit serial-keys when asked.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2018 18:00

The drive is in a working Windows computer. It's not an external USB enclosure, it's a "regular" internal bootable SATA2 drive with Win 7  and programs and files on it. I would like to take it from an old computer fro file and program transfer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 14th, 2018 19:00

@DC_dent wrote:

1. The drive is in a working Windows computer. 

2. I would like to take it from an old computer fro file and program transfer.

1. Good. Just insert a flash-drive into that computer and copy your "data files" to it (docs, pics, etc.). Walk over to the Precision-3620 and copy them over. Sounds like you need a current backup anyway, so keep that safe.

2. I already covered that in previous post.

After you are happy with your newer Precision-3620 (all programs are reinstalled and all data is restored) ... if you really need the extra storage on the Precision-3620 (and don't mind killing the old machine) ... you erase that drive and then install it in the new computer. It should be formatted on the new computer so the permissions are correct.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 15th, 2018 11:00

@DC_dent wrote:

I just purchased a used Precision 3620 workstation with 500 GB SATA3 hard drive. The OS is Windows 7 64bit Pro.

Finally, since you likely purchase this machine from some random seller, there is no telling what is actually on it. Is there a virus or key-logger on it ? (who knows).

I suggest you Nuke-and-Pave it (wipe it and clean-install Windows) before you start using it for real. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

3 Posts

October 15th, 2018 16:00

I installed Malwarebytes Premium and run it. It didn't find anything. 

Then I installed Windows Defender and run it as well. It also didn't find anything. 

the most recent Win 7 updates are installed. 

Is this enough?  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 15th, 2018 17:00

@DC_dent wrote:

I installed Malwarebytes Premium and run it. It didn't find anything. 

Then I installed Windows Defender and run it as well. It also didn't find anything. 

the most recent Win 7 updates are installed. 

Is this enough?  

Not for me, but maybe it is for you?

Will you use this computer for business or personal banking (for example)?

No Events found!