Start a Conversation

Unsolved

GE

36 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 03:00

RAID Mirror cannot use it Dell 690

Hi

I had tried to attach an SCSI hard drive temporarily to access files. I disconnected one of my hard drives to plug in the SCSI drive but disconected one of my RAID mirror drives by mistake. To be brief I had to remove the content from one of the RAID disks to a safe place and recreate the RAID using the Control C option. I have created a new mirror

but it is listed as a Dell Virtual Drive. It has no drive letter and is listed as Unallocated. Dell 690 with all four hard drive connections used.

573 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 17:00

Hi @Geoff Edwards,

What is your question exactly? A newly created virtual drive with no drive letter assigned and listed as un-allocated in Windows which is a normal practice, while RAID creation do not include drive partitioning and formatting. I don't quite get it.

January 23rd, 2019 02:00

Hi The hard drives were already formatted as they were in a RAID 1 until I accidentally broke the RAID by disconnecting one of them. I have no option to format them displayed. What do I need to do to get the RAID usuable? Thanks

573 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 23:00

Hi @Geoff Edwards ,

I can't provide help accurately without your correct description.

What do you mean by "I have no option to format them displayed."?

• If you are looking at RAID controller configuration utility screen and trying to find an option to format hard drives, there's no such thing as answered before.
  • If you are looking at Disk Management in Windows and find a logical drive that you believe it's the RAID drive set you created, but no option to format the drive, it's either:
    1. Some of the hard drives assigned as member of a RAID profile were not exist. You have to remove hard drives membership from the RAID profile to let them run as non-RAID normal hard drives, or repair/rebuild the RAID profile to get all hard drives in normal RAID.
    2. The RAID drive set (virtual disk) you created were not initialized yet.

If it's case 2 as mentioned above, follow this KB to see how to initialize and create a virtual disk with a Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller.

Besides, you mentioned that you have created a new mirror already, and you've got "all four hard drive connections used". Were you created a mirror RAID by two of them only? Or were you created a RAID0+1 profile actually? 

January 24th, 2019 06:00

To clarify. "Besides, you mentioned that you have created a new mirror already, and you've got "all four hard drive connections used". Were you created a mirror RAID by two of them only? Or were you created a RAID0+1 profile actually? The RAID 1 I created is just of two of them. I dont know what a RAID +1 profile is. I think that it is your item 2 above . I went back into the SAS Configuration Utility and confirmed that I had created the mirror. I went into Manage Virtual Disk and selected Synchronize Mirror. Its doing that now but I do not know whether that is the reason that the RAID is unallocated. Its on 8% in nearly two hours so far for a two terabyte RAID (two matching drives) To recap: 1. I had created a RAID 1 using two Toshiba 2 terabyte drives. 2. it worked well, but I can't recall how I created it. Could I have created it via Windows 10? 3. I damaged the RAID by unplugging it. 4. I copied all my files on the RAID to my other hard drive and then went into the configuration utility to create the new RAID 1. we
No Events found!