Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

March 11th, 2019 10:00

T7600 with PERC H310 - SSD not recognized when booting

Hey everybody.

I have a Dell Precision T7600 Workstation operating with a 1TB HDD connected to a PERC H310 Adapter.

I basically want to add an SSD with a second Windows installation. I have to keep the fisrt one.

I managed to go past the first part of the process, but when the PC restarts for the first time to continue the installation the SSD doesn't show up on the BOOT list when i press F12. The SSD also doesn't show on the BIOS setup.

The only thing that shows beside the other options (USB, DVD...) is this: (Bus 06 Dev 00) PCI RAID ADAPTER

On the RAID configuration, they are shown as RAID-0

What can I do for the BOOT to recognize the two disks separately? I tried to set the SSD as Non-RAID, but then I can't creat a VD. 

Thanks!

March 11th, 2019 10:00

I also tried to set the SSD as Non-RAID and install Windows this way (although the BIOS doesn't recognize the SSD, it shows up on the Windows installation). After the first part of the process is complete and it restarts for the first time, the same problem occurs: the BOOT options only shows USB, DVD and (Bus 06 Dev 00) PCI RAID ADAPTER.

10 Posts

March 21st, 2019 15:00

Install SSD on Sata Port and you are good to go. Or Provide Raid Drivers during Windows instalation on Select disk menu.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 12:00

Murshad007:

I've decided to install SSD drives in my T7600.  I've started having drive issues and need to upgrade.  Not sure I'll keep the H310, it hasn't shown it's benefit with only two drive and RAID 1.  The operational knowledge is hard to find and Dell is not very forthcoming after warranty expiration (2017 on my T7600).

Would you be able to point out the location of the SATA ports on the Dell motherboard, or is the H310 adapter essential ?

thanks

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2022 17:00

So what you want is to Dual Boot, two windows installation

So everything has to be running 64 Bit,  You can't run a 32 bit OS with a 64 Bit OS

Your SATA in the BIOS would need to be set for AHCI or RAID, If RAID since this is how Dell defaults set up uses, then you''ll need RAID drivers set up for your 2nd drive.

This is some basic's information you can check.  The you should look up how to set up to run a Dual Boot  2 OS system. I don't want mislead you so I won't comment on the exact procedure. As I personally have not run a dual boot since Window 10 first came out.. Here is a link Dual booting set up in System Configuration - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)  

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2022 18:00

Look at us replying to a thread from 2019

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

"So what you want is to Dual Boot, two windows installation"

First, "Dual Boot" automatically makes me think of 2 boot drives.  So please pardon if I initially misunderstood quote.  I'm still leaving the pghs. below as an informative piece.

If Win10 detects 2 drives with it on in the same PC, in other words 2 copies of Win10 in the same PC, 1 of the drives will absolutely BSOD.  Then the only way past it is to reload that drive.  Win10 does that on purpose.

Then the only way I know of to keep 2 copies of Win10 in the same PC is to have each of the Win10 drives in hot swap bays with power buttons so that 1 drive doesn't detect the other.  I use an older version of Win10 on 1 of the drives due to a few bugs I don't like in newer versions.

Then lets say there's storage drives.  Well, Win10 can also use those to detect copies of Windows.  So I have those on power buttons as well (external), so only 1 of my Win10 drives gets to detect the storage drives.  Otherwise, storage drive can get sabotaged by Windows as well.

Before having my storage drives external, on a music drive, Win10 froze a file so that Windows Media Player couldn't be used.  File could not be deleted and redone either.  I had to reformat drive before reloading.  (I still used NTFS, as any reformatting wipes drive.)  This is all from first hand experience.

So far that I know of and read, 1 Dell Community user reported having Win10 on one drive and Win11 on the other.  One of the drives still BSOD'ed.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

Hi @scurling,

If you're not benefitting from RAID, having an SSD for a boot drive and an HDD for storage is a good combo.  Or 2 SSD's will work great also.  Depends on your needs.

What I wouldn't do is use WD Green HDD's for storage.  They only spin @ 5400 RPM and can still slow things down.  Another user already tried that.

It could also help to know what some of your needs or wants are, what's most important to you, to better define replies.

No Events found!