Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

8 Posts

January 12th, 2021 18:00

Coil Whine sound Dell Precision 7550 with Mouse ("Alienware Aw959 Elite Gaming "only)

I have got new Dell Precision 7550 about a month ago and when I connect my Aw959 Elite Gaming Mouse I can hear coil whine sound from near the speaker area. It does not matter whether the speakers are mute or full volume, the sound still comes from near the speaker area.

There is no coil sound if I use my Logitech mouse, the sound comes only with "Aw959 Elite Gaming" mouse. I have two of these mice and the laptop makes coil sound with both.

Does anyone have any idea how to address this annoying sound?

January 12th, 2021 23:00

I need to add info to the above.

The issue also occurs with the laptop touch-pad. It produces low sound (not as high as Alienware mouse). This was not from day one but started to occur after sometimes.

This started the same time as after installing some updates. There is static noise sound even when I am not touching touch-pad or mouse.

January 15th, 2021 06:00

Even further information on the coil whine issue:

1. Low coil whine sound if keyboard/keypad/mouse/camera is not in use.
  2. Sound increases when keypad/mouse/camera is in use.
  3. The first problem I found was with the headphone would have blasting static noise and no sound from video. Some automatic update fixed that (like under the table) without me reporting. All I got was a notification from Windows that an update might have fixed a sound problem :s.

May 30th, 2021 19:00

A bit late in posting here but still worth it to know what Dell Technical Support is all about!

So, I had a very bad experience with Dell Technical support. Below is the summary of the sequence of communication. I have also added the full transcript at the end (or in the next post if text limit exceeds).

1. The software updates and installation phase.

Asked me to install,

• Install Windows updates.
  • Install optional Windows updates.
  • Install BIOS updates.

Each of these were asked separately. They had no impact. I knew it, but I let them try.

2. The BIOS options enable/disable phase

Asked me to turn of the "Intel Speed Shift" from BIOS. This would not make sense but at this stage they were in the investigating so I let that happen. Needless to say had no impact. I also felt at this stage that they ran out of options.

3. Blame on somebody/something else, phase

As nothing worked at this stage, Dell Support responds by saying try replacing the Mouse, perhaps that would fix.

I said, it is independent of mouse, as was revealed after initial investigation. So, replacing mouse is not I would allow to try.

They said, our product engineering team is going to take a look at this.

Comes back saying that *the product engineering team* advised that the mouse is not compatible with the laptop. I had my mind blown out by this. How hilarious. In current day and age, a company would design a mouse that would not work with general purpose laptop? Yet alone designed to not work with the laptop of the same company !!! Clearly, it was obvious that either the support or the product team was being insincere and dishonest about it. Sad.

But I understood, it was time to pull the plug on them. So, I demanded full refund and to return the laptop.

4. Oh, I see now, phase

After, I demanded refund, I got a response with slight change in tone. The support personal said they see now that the issue occurs without the mouse as well. Needless to say, this was reported to them right after the beginning of the case.

Forwards, the case to the *product team* again. After having a couple of days for another set of Q & A they concluded that your laptop should go through a repair process. They did not say exactly what to repair, but only used the word repair.

But I insisted to be told exactly what is broken that they are scheduling repair for.

They said, the *product team* has identified that the issue is with the fan and replacing it will solve the problem.

At this point, I wanted to give them the last attempt. I knew very well that this is just another tactic to delay the inevitable return. It was very annoying and frustrating but I gave them the chance.

So, a clue-less technician came to my office to replace the fan. When I wanted to engage in conversation as to know if he had any idea about the actual problem, he would say one and only one thing "I am only here to replace the fan"....

Fan replaced, no impact on the issue. I now have spent considerable time and given Dell Support a fair chance to address the issue. So, I asked them to initiate the process of refund.

Dell support responds by saying we are sorry, unfortunately, the date for return has passed. I insisted on return. They said, refund is no longer an option.

I stringently remind them of the consumer laws here in Australia. And, warn them to involve authorities!

They said, we will pass this to the local (Australia) Dell support team. Who then took no time to arrange the return and full refund.

Summary

I found Dell support not only incompetent in investigating the problem, but was also insincere and dishonest.

May 30th, 2021 19:00

The Full Transcript of the Communication

DELL-Cares to AhmedShinwari

‎01-12-2021 06:53 PM

Hello, I’m your Dell virtual assistant. I see you've opened a thread.

In order for me to review your system configuration, may I have the Service Tag / Express Service Code/ Order Number?

Refer the below link to find the Service Tag:

https://goo.gl/xxxxxx

AhmedShinwari

‎01-12-2021
Hi,
The service tag for my laptop is "XXXXX".

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I’m Ritika from the Dell Social Media team. I understand that you're facing an issue with the coil whine from the system when the AW mouse is connected to it. Please be assured that I will look into this and help you with the best available options to have this resolved for you at the earliest. 

Before we proceed, I have a few questions to understand the issue better: 
1. How long have you been facing the issue?
2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system? 
3. Did you notice any Windows update that took place recently? 
4. Could you share a video of this issue with us?

Also, could you help me with the following details for verification purposes? 
a. Registered owner's name 
b. Email address 
c. Phone number 
d. Current location 
e. Are you a retailer or an end-user?

AhmedShinwari

‎01-12-2021

Hi,
Below are the answers;

1. How long have you been facing the issue?
    This issue started about couple of weeks ago.

2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system?
    I have not made any hardware/software software change. The software change could be
    automated update by Windows and Dell Software.

3. Did you notice any Windows update that took place recently?
    Many updates took place. They happen every week.

4. Could you share a video of this issue with us?
    Where should I post the video?

Also, could you help me with the following details for verification purposes?

1. Registered owner's name
    It should be either my company or me.
    Company Name: XXXXX
    My Name: XXXXXX

b. Email address
    XXXXXXX@gmail.com

c. Phone number
    +XXXXXXX

d. Current location
    XXXXXX

e. Are you a retailer or an end-user?
    End-user.

‎01-12-2021 11:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the information! You could send the video to SMaC_Support@Dell.com and include the Service Tag in the subject line. This is an unmonitored mailbox, hence notify us here once you've sent the video.

‎01-12-2021 11:18 PM
Hi,

Were you able to send us the video? Do let us know so I could review it.

Regards,
Ritika

‎01-14-2021 09:12 PM

Hi,

We are awaiting your response to our previous message. Do provide us the details so we could assist you further.

Regards,
Ritika

AhmedShinwari

‎01-18-2021

Hi,
Is there any update on this issue?

‎01-14-2021 09:12 PM

Hi. I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused. We are working on this. As soon as we get an update, we will keep you posted. 

‎01-18-2021 09:06 PM

Hi. I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused. We are working on this. As soon as we get an update, we will keep you posted. 

‎01-18-2021 09:19 PM

Thank you for your time. Run a full scan on the SupportAssist application, which will check and update any outdated drivers, identify hardware issues (if any), and optimize the system performance. Click on the link below to learn how: https://dell.to/3oXZKBY  
Note: Keep the charger connected during the process.

Also, once the test is completed, let’s run diagnostics on the system to check for any hardware failures. This video will guide you: https://dell.to/3nVsgTp. If you see any errors, capture images, and share them with me.
Note: Keep the charger connected to the system during the test. Also, click 'No' when prompted for an extended memory test.

Do let me know if you hear the noise during the test. 

AhmedShinwari

‎01-21-2021

Hi,
I followed the instructions, first some drivers got downloaded and installed. Then the test was performed (both the tests, quick test & advance test). They all came with success.
The coil whine sound still there, unchanged.

‎01-21-2021 12:04 AM

Noted. Let me have this reviewed internally. I'll get back to you with an update in 1-2 business days.
Regards,
Ritika

‎01-21-2021 02:01 AM

Hi,
before we have this reviewed further, could you try disabling Intel Speedshift in the BIOS and check if it helps?
Regards,
Ritika

AhmedShinwari

‎01-21-2021
Hi,
I have disabled the Intel Speed Shift option in the Power Management section of the BIOS. It had no impact. I still hear the static noise and coil whine from near the speaker area of the laptop.

‎01-24-2021 05:18 AM

Hello, we are waiting for your next message to continue the conversation.

AhmedShinwari

‎01-24-2021
Sorry, whats that message that is holding you?

‎01-24-2021 06:02 AM

Hi,
Please allow me sometime to review the case and I'll get back to you.

‎01-24-2021 06:43 AM

Please ignore our previous message. We wanted to know did you check for windows updates and installed them? 

AhmedShinwari

‎01-24-2021
All of the 'important' updates of Windows have been applied. However, Windows Updates offers Optional Updates with a note that if the original drivers are causing problems then the listed drivers (in the Optional Updates) might help. Do you want me to apply all those optional updates?

‎01-24-2021 07:30 AM

Please allow me sometime to review the case and I'll get back to you.

‎01-24-2021 07:34 AM

Let me check this for you and i will get back to you in sometime. 

‎01-24-2021 07:56 AM

We suggest you to install all the optional updates and check how it works.

AhmedShinwari

‎01-25-2021

Hi,
I have installed the optional updates. The issue remained unaffected. I still get the static noise and coil whine.
I would like to add here that it seems like the issue is un-fixable. And, if that's the case I would not like to spend more time on it.
Do you have any thing else that can help?

‎01-25-2021 02:20 AM

If the mouse is within warranty we could try replacing one of them and see if it helps resolve the issue.

AhmedShinwari

‎01-25-2021

As updated on the actual post, the issue is even without the Alienware Mouse. Alienware mouse simply make it louder, the static noise (crackling) and coil whine is with touch pad as well.
It seems like a faulty mother board.

‎01-25-2021 02:44 AM

Understood. We'll have this reviewed and get back to you in 1-2 business days. Thanks.

‎01-27-2021 04:11 AM

We're still having this reviewed and should have an update in the next day or so. We'll notify you as soon as we have an update.

Regards,
Ritika

‎01-30-2021 02:15 AM

Hi, we have received an update from our engineering team do let us know when your available to continue.

AhmedShinwari

‎01-31-2021
Yes, sure. Please proceed.

‎01-31-2021 04:57 PM

As per our product team, the mouse is not compatible with the system.

We request you to try and use a different mouse and check if the issue persists.

AhmedShinwari

‎01-31-2021

Hi,
I understand that the Dell Mouse had amplified the issue of coil whine. However, as we discovered that this is not just coil whine with Dell Mouse, the touch pad is also producing this. And, there is static noise too (check the updated information on the original post).
This is a laptop hardware defect! And, if there is no fix as we tried many things as suggested by you, then I would request for a refund.

‎01-31-2021 06:00 PM

Hello, 

Thank you for waiting. From what you are stating that simply using the touchpad also amplifies the coilwhine issue is that correct? 

If yes, we can put that across to our product engineering teams.

Regards,

Aniketh S

AhmedShinwari

‎01-31-2021

Hi,
I would describe it as Static Noise sound continuously comes from speaker area however the sound is not from speaker. And, the coil whine is when;

• Low coil whine sound if keyboard/keypad/mouse/camera is not in use.
  • Sound increases when keypad/mouse/camera is in use.

‎01-31-2021 09:33 PM

The static sound from the speakers is not heard is the speakers are muted, correct?

AhmedShinwari

‎01-31-2021
No, the static sound (or crackling sound, like that of TV sound when no signal) happens regardless of speaker being mute or on a low volume or high volume. It starts when the laptop is turned on.

‎01-31-2021 09:40 PM

Noted. Would you be able to capture a video of this sound so I could have it reviewed?

‎01-31-2021 10:45 PM

Could you check if the same issue is noticed in the BIOS setup and let me know? Based on this, I'll review it and let you know what we could do.

AhmedShinwari

‎02-01-2021
Yes, the issue persists in BIOS mode as well.

‎02-01-2021 06:27 AM

Thank you for your patience. Considering the noise is noticed in BIOS too, we would have to set up a repair for the system. Let us know if that would be ok?

‎02-03-2021 04:16 AM

Hi,

We are awaiting your response to our previous message. Could you share the following information for me to set up the service? 

• Complete name:
 • Complete address with postal/zip code:
 • Email address:
 • Primary phone number:
 • Alternate phone number:
 • Best time to contact you:

Regards,
Ritika

‎02-03-2021 10:27 PM

Hi,

We are awaiting your response to our previous message. Do provide us the details so we could assist you further.

Regards,
Ritika

‎02-04-2021 06:34 PM

Also, let me know if the parts mentioned below are functional and intact:
 • System plastics (such as LCD hinges, LCD top cover, bezel, battery latches, bottom plastics):
 • Keyboard keys (keys popped out / stuck keys):
 • Touchpad / palm rest:
 • Systems port functionality (such as USB/HDMI/DP/Type-C/SD card):
 • Optical drive (in case the system has one):
 • Screws:
 • Charger cord/cable:
This is to ensure that I address all the issues in one go during this service. 

AhmedShinwari

‎02-04-2021

Hi,
All these issues mentioned are intact and working fine. However, I want to get clarification first. I want to know what do you have evaluated is wrong with the system? If it is a major issue, I would rather like to have it returned. If it is a small issue, then it is ok to fix it.

‎02-04-2021 06:52 PM

We have identified the issue with the fan and would be replacing the fan. However, I am confident enough that with this service your computer will be a hassle free Dell to work on.

AhmedShinwari

‎02-04-2021
Alright.

‎02-11-2021 01:40 AM

Hi,
Just want to keep you informed that the parts required for the service have been shipped. Once the technician receives the parts they will contact you to schedule the service appointment.

AhmedShinwari

‎02-11-2021
Ok, thanks.

AhmedShinwari

‎02-11-2021

Hi,
A technician came today and replaced the fan of the laptop, however, this had no impact on the issue.
I have given a considerable time and now, as the issue has not been fixed, I would like to return the laptop and have a refund.
Please advise the process for returning the laptop and a refund.
-Ahmed

‎02-11-2021 11:54 PM

I agree that the issues you’re currently facing are not acceptable at all. If I were you, I’d also feel the same. Unfortunately, we wouldn’t be able to offer a refund as the nature of the issue does not qualify for one. Also, the system has crossed the return period. But don’t worry, I’m prioritizing this case and will ensure to turn around this experience for you by resolving the issue at the earliest.

AhmedShinwari

‎02-12-2021

The issue is real and is out there, you can search other people are also affected by it. So, I don't understand why you have said the issue is a none acceptable.

I had reported the issue in the period of returned, however, Dell technical support spent about a month trying to fix which they failed. So, the return period still qualifies.

Please, proceed for the return and refund.

Thanks.

‎02-12-2021 12:21 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. Refund would not be an option here.

AhmedShinwari

‎02-12-2021

Not able to fix defect and then refusing to refund. This is against the Australian Consumer Law (https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/buying-products-and-services/repairs,-replacements-and-refunds).
Please communicate this to your supervisor so that they are aware of my rights as consumer. Failure to this I will have to involve authorities.

‎02-12-2021 01:21 AM

I'll write to my internal team and get back on this.

Please allow 1 to 2 business days. 

‎02-16-2021 04:31 AM

Hi,

Just want to let you know that we're still having this case reviewed internally. We should have an update in the next 2 business days.

Regards,
Ritika

‎02-17-2021 10:51 PM

Hi,

I just want to let you know that the regional customer care team have taken ownership of this case and they will be assisting you. You can continue working with them until the issue is addressed.

Regards,

Ritika

No Events found!