Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AI

12 Posts

October 29th, 2021 22:00

Dell Precision 7760 -- CPU is too hot on any of 4 thermal profiles

I'd like Dell to release a BIOS version to correct the issue (I'm on BIOS ver 1.4.0). The same issue is on precision 7560, I suggest.

The problem. There are 4 thermal profiles in BIOS: 'Optimized', 'Cool', 'Quiet' and 'Ultra Performance'. But on any of them, ON ANY, the CPU temperature (cores & package) is 100 deg Celsius once every few minutes under any serious computational load. I'd like to

have at least one thermal profile to never see CPU temperatures above 95-96 deg Celsius, at least. I consider 'Optimized' and 'Cool' profiles are good for this to implement.

As I run computational intensive tasks for 12+ hours continuously, I wish for my laptop to be healthy for long time ahead, as CPU near 100 deg Celsius influence high surround temperatures (motherboard and its components) which we all understand is bad. And I'm now forced to disable Turbo Boost, loosing performance, to eliminate too high temperatures inside laptop.

Let's all together to ask Dell to correct the situation !

Do Dell's representatives read this post ?

------------ text below is added a little later ------------

i) CPU behavior is almost the same on all 4 thermal profiles, and 'Cool' profile is really cooler but by means of only GPU significantly less power consumption; I wish to have at least one profile with CPU less hot behavior, so to say 'Really Right Cool (CPU cool + GPU cool)';

ii) never invoking Intel built-in thermal protection which starts/triggered at 100 deg Celsius, by means of setting up thermal threshold of less than 100 deg, for example 96 deg, for each core (but not by directly managing fans) in Dell's BIOS firmware will lead to more smooth/stable core temperatures (less fluctuations), and to possibly no loss in overall performance, and to may less integral heat inside laptop, and it is more comfortable to feel/understand that you don't drive your car constantly on its most limits just at the limit of its speedometer, it's just safe for you and your car at least for majority of drivers ...

• 

25.2K Posts

October 30th, 2021 16:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

• 

25.2K Posts

October 31st, 2021 21:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

12 Posts

October 31st, 2021 21:00

Hi, the issue I'm concerned with is obviously not related to my laptop configuration, it has place over all Dell Precision 7760 and 7560, and the laptops reviews in internet is a proof for that. But I wrote my service tag as you asked for.

• 

25.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2021 23:00

Hi,
We hope you are doing well.
We haven't heard back from yet post our recent conversation.
Kindly reply to this message so that we can assist you further.
Thank you for choosing Dell.
Have a wonderful day ahead.

Regards,
Mary.

12 Posts

November 4th, 2021 01:00

I've performed the following (as Dell support asked for):
i) updating all the drivers/firmwares and OS (I've done this for my both SSDs -- one with win10x64 and the second with win11);
ii) checking the issue under safe mode -- the issue is the same in safe mode;
iii) advanced full hardwear test (keep tapping F12 after laptop start) -- all passed, no errors.

Saying in addition, I'm all my life working in IT industry and I well understand the issue and its roots -- Dell should release new BIOS version, of course if they will to correct the issue, but not asking me but asking their BIOS department team.

November 4th, 2021 14:00

CPU behavior is almost the same on all 4 thermal profiles  and 'Cool' profile is really cooler but by means of only GPU significantly less power consumption

• 

25.2K Posts

November 4th, 2021 19:00

Hi,

We want to make sure all your queries are addressed, hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.

Also, if we do not receive a response, the case will be archived. To re-open the case, just drop us a note at your convenience, and we will be happy to help you.

~Soniya

• 

25.2K Posts

November 5th, 2021 19:00

Hi,

Good Morning! It's me, Soniya!

Please help us with the thermal readings on the hardware test screen to further check. 

Run through the f12 test (capture if any error) and click on advance > system Info > health. 

This will indicate if the issue is seen outside of the operating system.

~Soniya  

12 Posts

November 5th, 2021 21:00

Dear Dell-cares moderator, as I wrote before (please read my reply on 11-04-2021 01:48 AM) -- I've done all hardware tests -- no errors there -- and the thermal readings on the system info / health page are not related to the problem ! As the problem is when there is CPU intensive workload ! But meanwhile, if you ask, the thermal readings on the system info / health page are (for CPU):
55 deg Celsius (current), 32 deg Celsius (low), 70 deg Celsius (high).

12 Posts

November 8th, 2021 07:00

Today I've added the following information:

------------ how to check your laptop for the issue ------------

Give your laptop a really intensive CPU + GPU workload, for example Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously (www.mersenne.org, geeks3d.com), and monitor temperatures for CPU package and all its cores with HWiNFO (www.hwinfo.com). I run Prime95 with default settings and Furmark with my LCD panel's native resolution. Under usual room temperature, after only 5 minutes of the stress test there are CPU package at 100 deg Celsius almost all the time (almost constantly) and a half of cores (in my case 4 of have started to hit 100 deg Celsius. Having given the laptop only CPU really intensive workload (Prime95), the cores start hit 100 deg Celsius after approx 15 - 20 minutes.

12 Posts

This forum website has autocorrected my prevous post (of 11-08-2021 07:07 AM) and has made an error: namely, above "(in my case 4 of have started to hit 100 deg Celsius." MUST be "(in my case 4 of have started to hit 100 deg Celsius."

12 Posts

again mis-autocorrect by Dell !!!
MUST be "(in my case _4_ of _EIGHT_) have started to hit 100 deg Celsius."

12 Posts

November 12th, 2021 06:00

Dell support asked me to check the temperatures and fan speeds using HWiNFO x64 utility by means of looking to the DELL EC heading under Sensors view. I suppose "DELL EC" stands for "DELL Embedded Controller". But using the latest of today version of HWiNFO (v7.14) on win11 x64, there is no "DELL EC" heading et all in HWiNFO interface, and the Sensor view does not list/show any fan's information anywhere. But there are all temperatures in the Sensor view there (not under "DELL EC" headings).

Dell Support please clarify the situation -- do you see on win11 in HWiNFO "DELL EC" on Precision 7760 ?
And what me to implement to see them ?

12 Posts

November 12th, 2021 06:00

PS: my laptop came with 1 TB SSD with win 10 x64 but now I'm working with the same one SSD with the win11 only installed (fresh install) -- of course all firmwares/drivers and OS is up to date.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

November 13th, 2021 09:00

CPU temp is still in spec.  You are asking them to drop bellow spec, as this will also potentially lower performance?   

No Events found!