AlexOrson
1 Copper

Issue with Quadro P5200 on Precision 7730

Hello,

First time here. My Precision 7730 arrived 10 days ago and I'm having a real issue...

This is my configuration:

Intel Core i9-8950HK (Six Core 2.90GHz, 4.80GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W)

ST2000LM007-1R8174 2000GB Hard drive
KXG50PNV1T02 NVMe TOSHIBA 1024GB

NVIDIA Quadro P5200
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

64.0GB, 4x16GB, DDR4-2666MHz S DRAM, 4 DIMMS, Non-ECC

4-cell 64Wh Lithium Ion batter y with ExpressCharge™

Something seamed a little off and got me intrigued (in a very bad way)

I'm supposed to use this machine for After Effects, Premier and Cinema 4D, mostly.
But rendering times were very bad, with both Octane and Redshift. So bad that I ran the same renders on my desktop pc with i5 - 16 GB ram - and Nvidia 1060 6gb and what the desktop rendered in 2min the Precision rendered in 10min... Something was clearly wrong so I ran some Benchmarks and tests, in all of the test Quadro P5200 failed miserably. I will add an example screenshot. https://ibb.co/Y8CCB7y

Why is this happening?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sfortin7
1 Copper

Re: Issue with Quadro P5200 on Precision 7730

What benchmark program exactly?

0 Kudos

@AlexOrson,

Are you absolutely sure that the apps you're running are using the Nvidia card? Instead of the Intel card? 2 things you might do:

1. Go into the BIOS, turn off switchable graphics ( this turns off the Intel card )

2. Try clearing all of your non-Microsoft services using MSCONFIG then test the apps again.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

MattS9
1 Copper

I am having similar issues with my P5200 video card performance on my 7730 as well. While my benchmarks are OK (but not great percentile-wise), actual performance is terrible and it repeatedly failed the Support Asst video card tests right out of the box. Currently getting better actual graphics performance out of an old MSI laptop with a 4th i7, GTX 960m and 16gb DDR3 memory. It also shipped with a corrupted OS and failed a Windows reinstall. I had to boot with Linux from a flashdrive, wipe the ssd, then do a fresh install of Windows from a flashdrive (was going to install the OS on a better ssd anyway). I also updated all drivers (auto and then again manually when having issues) and ran pre-boot diagnostics (no issues found). Dell sent someone to replace the video card today, but it did not fix any of the issues. I think the motherboard is faulty, but I have already sunk way too many hours on this PC and have been getting the runaround from Dell. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and am looking at a Thinkpad P72. 

• Intel Xeon E-2186M Processor (6 Core, 2.90 GHz, 12MB Cache, 45W)
  • Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (4 Cores Plus)
  • 256GB PCIe M.2 Class 40 Solid State Drive
  • [Added a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro SSD]
  • 64GB (16x32GB) DDR4 2400MHz ECC Memory
  • 17.3inch UltraSharp UHD (3840x2160) IGZO Anti-Glare Non-Touch 100% color gamut LCD with Camera and Mic
  • NVIDIA Quadro P5200 16GB GDDR5
0 Kudos
MattS9
1 Copper

0 Kudos
AlexOrson
1 Copper

Hello, 

Dell just changed my motherboard and video card and I'm still having the same problem. The video card is always idle, even if a start to render in C4D. A way I found to bypass this is by reinstalling the driver, somewhere during the install process the video card kicks on and stays on. I just have to reinstall the driver every time I shutdown the PC..... This is clearly a software issue. 

Yes I have tried everything, even the Dell support did. No solution.

0 Kudos
PNJD
1 Copper

I'm intrigued with your situation. I'm having a similar problem, same laptop and graphics card. Dell swapped out the MoBo and 5200 graphics card. When I reinstall the driver my CUDA based simulation software appears to run ok. The fans burst into life and the simulation is fast. However, as soon as I reboot the driver install completes and the performance is worse than my old 6800.  Whats so frustrating is several colleagues have the same spec machine and their's work brilliantly.

0 Kudos
craftsmen
1 Copper

i was planning to own it .checking these mixed reviews i understand that quadro for mobile workstation is not workstation is not recommendable

0 Kudos
AlexOrson
1 Copper

I think it's more of a software problem than a hardware one. I'm trying my luck over at nvidia maybe they have some kind of solution. The machine is great, some heating problems when going full berserk on rendering, and this idiotic problem with the GPU being idle. (that GPU thing is quite an exception from what I understand). I actually think is power problem. I will change my battery and get back to you.
0 Kudos