Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2018 14:00

M4800 Boot problem

Hi everyone! I just bought used M4800 with Windows 7 installed (worked fine) and immediately decided to change it to Windows 10 and started having big issues. This is how it went:

1. After installing W10 and rebooting I got this messege shown: "Invalid partition table". Quick Google showed me that it might be outdated BIOS version (I think it was A13 or A15 installed). So I downloaded latest BIOS (A25) from Dell website and proceeded with update.
2. I did every step from this article: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln305230/flashing-the-bios-from-the-f12-one-time-boot-menu?lang=en Message showed that update was complete and laptop rebooted itself. 

3. But after reboot the screen stayed turned off, nothing was happening, didn't see DELL logo. Only LEDs from power button, volume control and ssd activity was on. I could turn off the laptop with one push of power button.

4. I inplugged the CMOS battery for 15 minutes, plugged it back on again and turned on the laptop. DELL logo appeared, I could go into BIOS settings. Stayed there for few minutes and after reboot screen was black again (and this is happening every time I use laptop more than few minutes and try to reboot) By trial and error I discovered that if I leave the laptop for about 10 minutes and then power it on I can see DELL logo and boot into Windows, BUT laptop screen stays off. I can only use laptop on external monitor.

Additional notes: tried installing Ubuntu, same behavior as with Windows. When I try live usb laptop screen works just fine, sometimes in BIOS and other pre-windows menus keyboard stops working and to do anything I need to reboot. Don't know if this keyboard problem is present in Windows. 

Does anyone hava a clue what is happening to this laptop?

4 Posts

December 21st, 2018 00:00

Turning off Intel Integrated Graphics in BIOS resolved all of those issues. Go figure.

1 Message

February 5th, 2021 09:00

Por lo que veo. Tenias instalado windows 7 y ubuntu. Y tenias la opción de LEGACY para iniciar. Bueno, una vez que actualizaste a windows 10, puedo pasar que arrancara desde UEFI y por eso no encontró la partición. Lo que se debió hacer es en una USB montar windows 10 con opción de LEGACY BOOT. Ahora, al estar instalando windows 10, NO CONECTAR Al wifi, porque al instalar, windows 10 actualizará automaticamente los controladores, y como la M4800 tiene una tarjeta grafica, en mi caso una FIREPRO, windows 10 actualizó automaticamente un controlador erroneo y al estar trabajando se congelo la pantalla, y al apagarlo con el boton y volverlo a iniciar, me apareció una pantalla azul. 

Todo lo anterior se solucionó volviendo a formatear el equipo e instalar windows 10 sin internet y DESACTIVAR WINDOWS UPDATE. 

Espero poder ayudar a los demás. 

Saludos

3 Posts

October 21st, 2022 09:00

Check your System Configuration  SATA settings.   Make sure you are in  AHCI and not the others.   If you must change, you must do so in Safe Mode or reinstall windows. 

No Events found!