Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

28 Posts

January 4th, 2021 15:00

Please help-M4800 GPU upgrade

Hi.  I have an M4800 (i7-4810mq CPU) and upgraded from the K2100M to an M1200.  Physical install and Windows 10 detection went well.  The goal was to run an older game still being maintained online (originally based on Directx 9).  Several players report using DX 10/11.1 and even a few DX 12.  After doing the below steps, DXDIAG shows "Direct3D DDI Unknown".  When the game executes, the screen goes green with artifacts - can only guess my way through log off/shut down.  I've of course tried running the game in different compatibility modes (they also have 64 bit mode-no mode works).  One sign things are not right: I cannot select the DX version (normally possible when you have several versions loaded).  I always make sure it's using the NVIDIA card.  Nothing works right until I completely disable/uninstall the NVIDIA at which point, it goes back to old faithful, the built in Intel card.

1) Download the latest stable (non-experimental) driver from NVIDIA's website
2) Run install. Unzip the installer files and rename that folder. Cancel install (if you have not renamed the folder, installer removes it.
3) Mod the driver .ini file
4) Disable driver signature enforcement.
5) Uninstall the default M1200 driver Windows 10 automatically installs.
6) Install NVIDIA driver (Device Manager shows the correct device ID/location now)
7) Install Directx (not Web version which bails if detecting newer version)

PS - I cannot see anything if I turn off Optimus and attempt to load WindowsNVIDIA Download.jpgDirect3D.jpg

217 Posts

January 4th, 2021 17:00

The green with artifacts could point to a bad GPU.

On a side note... Did you need to mod your driver .inf file to get the drivers installed?

217 Posts

January 5th, 2021 07:00

Will your original K2100 GPU or new M1200 show the Dell logo with Graphics switching disabled?

28 Posts

January 5th, 2021 07:00

Considering the original GPU started doing the same green thing, I suspect it was either a driver update or Windows change.  I may have tried it already but totally open to reinstalling the NVDIA driver w/o modding ini

28 Posts

January 5th, 2021 08:00

I was never able to see Windows if only using NVIDIA - never saw a logo.  Now the NVIDIA is gone - had the same problem with the K2100M - would just disappear from Device Manager.  Apps would no longer see it.  Going to shut down and wait an hour.  May be a heat thing?  The fan works and there is fresh GPU gel on it.

217 Posts

January 5th, 2021 09:00

Honestly you could be looking at a RAM or motherboard issue.

With the are of these machines it might be in your best interest to either upgrade to a newer generation machine... or, purchase a working spare used M4800 from ebay to use as a parts donor.

(If you purchased a Dell Quadro M1200, that card came from a Precision 7520 or 7720.)

28 Posts

January 5th, 2021 11:00

What would be Real Interesting is trying Windows 7.  The first time I attempted to configure this card, Windows 10 "Controlled folder access" blocked the NVIDIA files from installing.  Who knows what else is blocking.  There are just too many variables in this Windows version and my desktop support knowledge is antiquated.

No Events found!