Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 5th, 2019 08:00

Precision 5530. Add SATA SDD

Hello,

I have a 5530 with an NVMe M2 drive. I wish to add a 2nd Sata SSD. I have the bracket and got a cable from Amazon. The bios sees the 2nd drive, but Windows 10 does not. All drives are enabled in the BIOS.

Anybody got any idea if I need to install drivers and, if so, which ones?

Thanks in advance.

573 Posts

March 6th, 2019 06:00

Hi again,

As you can locate the "Intel 300 series SATA AHCI Controller" in MMC, you should already got the correct driver. Just a thought that will you have another SATA drive to test with? It helps to illuminate possible cause led by a defective SATA drive even it somehow works on it's original laptop.

573 Posts

March 5th, 2019 18:00

Hi @FillDee ,

The bios sees the 2nd drive, but Windows 10 does not.

Do you mean that the 2nd drive do not exist in Win10 Device Manager? Or just no new drive letter exist in Windows Explorer? Newly purchased hard drive usually not initialized yet. You need to create partition and assign drive letter in Windows. Hit the Windows button on keyboard > type "diskmgmt.msc" > press Enter > open Windows Disk Manager to do the mentioned initialization

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 6th, 2019 00:00

Thanks, but it's not in the device manager at all. Nothing under hidden devices. Nothing under by connection on the Intel 300 series SATA AHCI Controller. It's also not a new drive. It came from an older laptop. As said, the BIOS sees it under "Primary Hard Drive", just nothing in Windows....

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 6th, 2019 05:00

I found and tried that before posting, but thanks anyway.

Since it shows up in the bios, I'm guessing all hardware is fine. Pretty sure it has to be a driver issue, but just not sure what to install...

573 Posts

March 6th, 2019 05:00

Hi @FillDee ,

Found a KB here. Although it's about Win10 installation fail on some NVMe+SSD system, the workaround solution may help to fix your mentioned problem as well. Worth to try.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 6th, 2019 06:00

I have a spare one in an external usb caddie. I'll try that just in case.

Thanks again.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

March 6th, 2019 09:00

Good call. The other SSD works perfectly straight away.

Weird, as the one that doesn't work, also works perfectly in an external caddie on the same laptop...

Ah well, at least I know.

Thanks

2 Posts

March 12th, 2019 11:00

I'd like to try the same thing (already have the SSD), can you let us know which bracket/cable set you bought on amazon?

2 Posts

March 12th, 2019 12:00

thanks!  Just to be sure, this is all I would need to hook up a WD NVMe SSD card using the hdd chassis?

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 11:00

Judging by the pictures, this would allow you to add a 2.5 inch SATA SSD/HDD drive.

Specs say the machine has an M.2 PCIe NVMe slot and a 2.5 inch SATA as well.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ca/en/cadhs1/precision-15-5530-laptop/preci5530_setupandspec/storage-specifications?guid=guid-8cce64a0-fd1a-4484-84b8-13e50a09b500&lang=en-us

Check out this video where you can see a tech remove the existing spinning HDD, and install an M.2:

https://youtu.be/oJEnHzLPsQ4?t=196

No Events found!