Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2018 07:00

Precision 5530 and TB16 dock - mouse and keyboard freeze

Hello,

I have a problem with a freshly installed Precision 5530 and a TB16 dock.

I have a wireless Logitech Mx Performance mouse and a wired Microsoft Keyboard 600, connected via the dock.

Intermittently the mouse stops responding and the keyboard either stops responding or acts like the last key I pressed is stuck and repeats it for a couple of seconds.

If I plug the mouse dongle directly into the laptop the mouse works as expected.

It's a freshly installed laptop, with Windows 10 Enterprise. Installed ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver, Thunderbolt Controller driver and Latest BIOS 1.3.1 from the support page.

Also went into device manager to explicitly set all detected USB Hosts to disable the power management of windows to deactivate them when idle.

It doesn't matter if it's a restart, wake from sleep, disconnecting and reconnecting the dock didn't work either.

Regards,

Doru

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 05:00

Almost too good to be true,

There is a whole bunch of upgrades bundled in the late TB16 docking station upgrade (as of this morning, see this link), which includes upgrades for the ASMedia USB Controller, and apparently also for the Dell Power Management app (Use the Dell Command | Update afterwards for additional upgrades). As it is of this moment, I am no longer experiencing any of the above mentioned issues.

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 22:00

I'll try  new drivers soon, just before that - one report from fight with monitors. Accidently I've spotted that my display ports monitors are using reduced color depth... I started to investigate and found this thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490Tl9SAE/solved-intelr-hd-graphics-630-6bit-color-windows-10-1803?language=en_US

My guess is that there is an issue in intel's display port drivers and disabling monitors and lower color depth may be related. Now I have deleted Intel driver and work on default windows one - at least there is no issue with color depth. I will check disabling of displays during the day, but I recall that at the beginning I also used to work without intel driver and I didn't experience such problems.

Looks like Intel already have fixed the issue, but again we should wait for dell to make new drivers available.... until then I will stick to basic drivers.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2019 00:00

@adameq Yes, I never turned C-States off. However, updating the TB16 at home was not that easy. After updating the TB16 at home (along with apparently necessary updates to the OS), I noticed the system responding oddly slower than usual. The fans also appear less noisy, but also never loud, even at 100% CPU usage. Setting the heat control to "Ultra" in Dell Power Manager seems to be ignored. So I actuallly ended up turning off C-States to get my performance back. Fans are still low, but system is performing better. But that said, this was oddly not a problem at work.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2019 00:00

@AspCom do you have c-states enabled, or have you enabled them after firmware update?

18 Posts

January 5th, 2019 02:00

@AspCom wrote:

I agree it's great to find a working solution, but I'm quite disapointed in the overall design of what is supposed to be a top of the line product, an issue which has obviosuly been marked solved earlier by Dell addressing a BIOS update in 2016 is continuosly re-appearing, latest in in the fourth quarter of 2018 on TB16/XPS models, and noticably on every single one of them, not just a subset of installations. And the solution is to turn off the powersaving CPU C states in BIOS when using USB solutions?

To me, this solution sounds a bit like asking someone to bypass all the fuses, because the fuse-box is malfunctioning. Not an acceptable solution at all. I will expect Dell to address and fix this issue.

I have a 7530+TB18DC dock, and have the same issues. Mouse and keyboard often hangs. Turning off CPU C states in BIOS made it more useable (but waking up from sleep is still a problem). Once it is working, it works, but if the system enters to sleep, the problem is back, I have to plug-unplug the dock.

I am quite disappointed that we spend all these expensive amounts on Precision laptops, and then again hundreds of Euros for the docks, and then they still don't work, and we have to turn off features that are supposed to work.

The workaround that I found is to plug the USB hubs directly to the laptop, but then there is no real reason to use the Dell dock anymore.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2019 04:00

The latest update (As of January 3rd 2019) seems to address the USB issues and Display not waking from hibernation, at least when combined with my Dell XPS 9570 (Core i9 version).

However, the latest UHD 630 Graphics drivers, have introduced a new problem, which may seem like refresh-rate issues, feeling exactly like the system lacks power to process images, even when hardly using graphics at all.

Forcing an earlier ghraphics card installation (version 23.20.16.5017, A02 from 10 Jul 2018) has fixed the issue. (See https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=myk8d )

Update: Didn't solve anything, at least not when playing fullscreen videos, however system does seem to run a bit more smoothly.

Again, I'm still frustrated over the fact, that Dell is unable to provide sufficient Q/A on a high-end product such as this one.

199 Posts

January 6th, 2019 13:00

Please look at your current setting of USB Wake Support... If disabled in BIOS, enable it.

I'm not having a problem putting the 7730 to sleep, and waking it by pressing on the power switch on the dock. I am able to use the mouse and keyboard (which are both plugged into the front of the dock).

Update: this was true, when I was putting the unit to sleep and waking it with one dock at home. However, I bring the laptop to work (connect to my TB18DC dock there), then back home (connect to my other TB18DC dock there) and cannot get the home dock to recognize the keyboard and mouse plugged into the front of the dock, and 2oo3 displays are blank.

Yes, I have two docks, one supplied by my employer, and one I purchased myself for use at home.

The system (laptop and dock) seems to be having difficulty "remembering" configurations, -and/or- enumerating devices plugged into the dock, and/or possibly the unit is having difficulty approving connected devices. 

I should be able to bring it to work and use one TB18DC dock, and bring it home and use another TB18DC dock without doing anything special.

It should just work.

9 Posts

January 10th, 2019 23:00

I updated the dock and everything, but still didn't enable C-states and already have issues. Blue screens, all screens flickering from time to time and so forth. So, yeeey. On another note, the issue with color banding on UHD 630 (6-bit color instead of 8-bit) I solved by switching to HDMI instead of display port. I have 2 Dell U2518D (super ironic that with all components being premium dell, they don't work properly), and a TB16 and I plugged one into the HDMI port and another via an HDMI-to-USB-C into the USB-C port of the TB16 and not the problem is gone. Hope this helps someone, cause dell sure isn't helping us with anything...

13 Posts

January 21st, 2019 08:00

Its great to read that others are having the same issues.

Whenever you speak to Dell, its never a known problem or its a driver or something else.. actually, my view on this is it is a total screw up by Dell on their docks.  Ever since moving to their C docks I've seen nothing but hassle.

The TB16 especially, is an overpriced lump of **bleep**.

I will try this C setting, so thank you.

And Dell.. if you are reading which we know you are, stop hiding behind rubbish support and admit you got these things wrong and sort it out.

18 Posts

January 21st, 2019 09:00

As for myself, I have sent the TB18DC back for a refund. I think it is a waste of time for two reasons:

1. Apparently it doesn't work. I'm not sure it is an issue with Dell, it can be the technology is buggy as it is.

2. Even if it works as it is supposed to work, I don't have 20 seconds of my life to wait for the screen to turn on after sleep.

I can't believe Intel released this technology like this. Finally we reached an era when Windows 10 PCs boot up in a few seconds, and they turn on instantly after sleep. And here it comes Intel, who sets back everything to a super slow and sluggish wake up from sleep.

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 00:00

experienced the same issue with a G5 5587 and two different usb-c hubs (one of the them a dell WD15). mouse and keyboard work well when connected to laptop, but experience lag when plugged in to the hub.

Disabling C-states makes it work. thanks.

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 12:00

"Try disabling "C" states in the computer's BIOS."

Worked for me.  I have Dell pro support looking into fixing this.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2019 22:00

I have tried to switch off the C-settings in BIOS, it helped with the lag. However, a whole list of features are switched off for idle power saving with this setting. https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/03/27/update-c-states-c-states-and-even-more-c-states/ As I said before, a C-state is an idle state. The processor isn't doing anything useful, so why not shut some things off? Think of it in terms of your house. If you're not at home, why keep the lights, radio, and those 6 televisions going? Modern processors have several different C-states representing increasing amounts of "stuff" shut down. C0 is the operational state, meaning that the CPU is doing useful work. C1 is the first idle state. The clock running to the processor is gated, i.e. the clock is prevented from reaching the core, effectively shutting it down in an operational sense. C2 is the 2nd idle state. The external I/O Controller Hub blocks interrupts to the processor. And so on with C3, C4, etc. I'll discuss this further down in this paper. By the way, there is nothing preventing the OS from busy waiting in its idle state, and thus keeping the processor in C0, as did older operating systems. From the OS's standpoint, the processor is idling; it's just chewing up energy for no useful reason other than being an ineffectual heater. [...] https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Processor_P-states_and_C-states C-states Overview of the different C-states and PC-states (Source: Intel). Dependencies of C-states from cores (CC-states) and package (PC-states). Unlike the P-States, which are designed to optimize power consumption during code execution, C-States are used to optimize or reduce power consumption in idle mode (i. e. when no code is executed). Typical C-states are:[5] C0 – Active Mode: Code is executed, in this state the P-States (see above) are also relevant. C1 – Auto Halt C1E – Auto halt, low frequency, low voltage C2 – Temporary state before C3. Memory path open C3 – L1/L2 caches flush, clocks off C6 – Save core states before shutdown and PLL off C7 – C6 + LLC may be flushed C8 – C7 + LLC must be flushed C-States can be distinguished according to core C-states (CC-states), package C-states (PC-states) and logical C-states. In most cases, the operating system sets a specific C-state for a core by executing the MWAIT command.

9 Posts

January 24th, 2019 23:00

I have and still am interacting with Dell Pro support and they helped out.

I have 3 issues:

•  Mouse & Keyboard freeze when C-states are on and peripherals are connected via USB via the TB16
  •  External displays connected via DP only have 6 bit color
  •  BSOD when connecting the dock, after having updated the ASMedia Hub Controller drivers. They gave me drivers and firmware to update for dock and hub and the issues with C-States and BSOD hav ebeen fixed.

So I advise all of you to try the same steps:

1 Message

January 29th, 2019 09:00

I have a XPS 9370 and a TB-16 dock. After updating Bios, FW and driver the problem with USB peripherals like keyboard and mouse remained. Then I found the solution on this page, disabling C state. Then, looking in a Swedish Dell TB-16 set-up page I found a recommendation to Enable Thunderbolt Adapter Boot Support in Bios/System Configuration/Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration. After enabling this flag I could Enable C state again. I have tested it at least two times, it is repeatable. If Thunderbolt Adapter Boot Support is disabled, problem with keyboard. Enabled, everything is working without any problems. If this is important, I suggest that Dell write a clear note about it in the detailed instructions for TB-16.
No Events found!